What recommendations should school districts give employees regarding identity theft, and what steps should be taken if an employee suspects his/her identity has been stolen? I am not an expert on these issues, but going with what the FTC recommends on its website on identity theft, the steps below seem reasonable and well-advised:
1. Notify one of the major credit reporting agencies and request that a fraud alert be placed on your credit report.
2. Close accounts you believe may have been tampered with or used illegally.
3. File a report with your local police department and obtain a copy of the report for your records.
4. File a complaint with the US Federal Trade Commission using the link on the above website.
Every employee should be encouraged to regularly obtain free copies of their credit report and review it for suspicious activities. Anyone can request free copies of their credit report using the website www.annualcreditreport.com. The FTC’s website (linked at the top) is a very good resource, this would be a great topic to discuss at a staff meeting anytime of the year.
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Video Tutorial: Creating Narrated Art or Photos with AudioBoo for iPad - 2013
- Publish a Free Digital Magazine with Zeen - 2012
- Whacha Runnin' on Yer Mac These Days? (Dec 2012) - 2012
- Virtual Participation Options for Dec 14 and 15 Google Tools Workshops - 2010
- Lessons learned using Ustream Recorder for iPhone - 2009
- Share password protected online videos with Mobile Me - 2009
- Connecting place to stories with Google Maps - 2008
- VoiceThread supports template-based digital storytelling! - 2008
- Two new video podcasts from Ford Island, Hawaii - 2007
- 1:1 Computing Guidebook - 2005