I introduced some students and teachers at Greenville School today in south-central Oklahoma to the classroom blogosphere using a customized Google Earth KML file I named, the “Classroom Blog World Tour.” (This requires Google Earth.) I let students take turns “driving the mouse” on my laptop, connected to a LCD projector, while they literally “flew” us around the earth to the cities of different classroom bloggers. After “flying” to the city, students clicked the embedded link in Google Earth and viewed the classroom blog, first in a smaller Google Earth window and then full-screen in a web browser. This “world tour” currently includes 11 classrooms in North America and Australia. Yes, I know I need to include Scottish bloggers, Ewan! Which others need to be included?
I hope to eventually make this a dynamic KML file which is updated from a mySQL database of classroom blogs. For now a static file will suffice, and the kids REALLY loved this today. If you’re looking for a very engaging, “sexy” way to share a tour of classroom blogging voices spanning the globe– check this out.
I have the KML file and other KML / Google Earth related links on a new KML resources page.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- CDR Electronics in Oklahoma City: A GREAT Place to Buy Used iOS Devices & Macs - 2012
- Turn off Automatic iPhone Backups in iTunes with DiskAid - 2012
- Handwriting Resource Websites - 2012
- Day 1 experiences with a class blog on 21classes - 2010
- PBworks spam cleanup on Great Book Stories - 2010
- Paper-based Oxford English Dictionary days may be limited - 2010
- Mexico Cleaning up Police Corruption? - 2010
- Welcome to back to school PD: Let's start live blogging - 2009
- Spam Twitter Followers Proliferating - 2009
- Presentation for Oklahoma State School Board Association (Celebrate Oklahoma Voices) - 2009