Digital natives typically love music, and once they have learned how many LOVE to create their own music. In this session, we’ll explore tools like Garageband (for Macintosh users) and Fruity Loops (For Windows users) which permit student authoring of original music compositions: No prior musical background required! We’ll explore how students can legally obtain Creative Commons (CCMixter) shared music created by others, which can be remixed and mashed into new creations. Join the digital music revolution, and invite your students to do the same! It’s legal, it’s fun, it’s engaging, and the process helps cultivate development of a wide host of 21st century literacy skills that students need for success in the future! I presented this session at the TCEA Region 10/11 Technology Conference in Plano, Texas on October 28, 2006 with my 8 year old son, Alexander.
Show notes for this podcast include:
- Creative Commons
- Short film “Get Creative” about Creative Commons
- CCMixter: A copyright-friendly place to find and share loops for musical remixes
- Garageband software for Macintosh (free – included with OS X)
- Fruity Loops: Windows (Demo version doesn’t permit project saving, but does export)
- Sony Acid XPress: Windows (free – free, 10-track version of ACID software)
- More links from this presentation
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Good Teachers Make a HUGE Difference - and PD is VITAL! [VIDEO] - 2013
- Pocket Casts: A Better Smartphone App for Podcatching (Podcast listening) - 2012
- Digital Storytelling with Pinnacle Studio for iPad - 2012
- NCLB Fulfilling Mission to Portray All Public Schools as Failing - 2011
- Comparing Electric Cars (October 2011) - 2011
- The backstory of Oklahoma State Question 744 - 2010
- Gridlock may promote US Political Stability - 2010
- Eliminating Mac Address Book Duplicate Entries - 2009
- Advancing eBook technologies - 2008
- Podcasts of today's presentations - 2006