Tonight was a personal first: I taught a three hour workshop on podcasting to about twelve teachers in St Louis, Missouri from my house in Edmond, Oklahoma! I have taught this workshop on podcasting a fair number of times, and taught (and just “met” with others) via videoconferencing technologies a fair number of times too– but never taught this workshop at a distance. The best part was when we finished at 7 pm, I was already home!
I connected using a Polycom VSX 3000 (H.323) over the Internet at 384 kbps. The connection was excellent and didn’t have any noticeable jitter in video or audio. I don’t have my license for Polycom’s People+Content IP so I was interrupted a bit in my screensharing– but the interactive aspect of the workshop went pretty well using a Blogger blog (participants posted comments) and my workshop wiki. I was going to use the screensharing feature of Vyew, and it worked good during our pre-workshop tests, but I ended up using the People+Content demo for the screensharing I needed to do instead.
This was quite fun, and as a bonus I was able to pull my two oldest children in briefly to the workshop– Sarah talked briefly about her experiences creating her science fair enhanced podcast about hedgehogs last year when she was in kindergarten.
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Podcast 419: An Interview with Shelly Fryer About Student Voice & iPad Projects - 2014
- Academic Journal Paywalls are Educationally Counter-Productive and WRONG - 2012
- Pocketbook Tablets and Commoditization of Touch Technologies - 2010
- Join us on Classroom 2.0 Live Talking K12Online09 Saturday - 2009
- 4 More K12Online09 Teasers! - 2009
- Reflections about old jails, land appraisal, and high speed infrastructure in Cottonwood Falls, Kansas - 2008
- Thoughts about educational change inspired by videos and blog conversations - 2007
- Preferred communication - 2006
- Hawaii iChat pics - 2006
- Nominate a tech-savvy superintendent - 2006