This podcast is a recording of a presentation by Dr. Bernie Dodge at MacWorld 2007 at the K-12 Educators Market Symposium produced by California’s Computer Using Educators Inc. His topic was Engaging Brains with Games and Simulations. The theme of using games to engage students in learning is common to many educational technology conferences, but the depth of analysis which Dr. Dodge lends to this subject is refreshing. He discussed a formula for learning power (Learning Power = Attention x Depth x Efficiency) in his presentation that can assist educators attempting to use games in their instruction. He also reviewed three gaming environments for learning: Inform 7 (interactive fiction,) Star Logo TNG, and Second Life. His department at San Diego State University has its own virtual home in SL, and Dr Dodge outsourced its construction to a designer in Hawaii. Clearly we are living in the 21st century. Now our challenge is to transform our learning environments utilizing the tools of engagement available to us!
Show notes for this podcast include:
- Dr. Dodge’s handouts and links from this session
- My notes from Dr. Dodge’s session
- MacWorld Speaker Bio: Dr. Bernie Dodge
- Beginner’s Guide to Interactive Fiction with Inform7
- Star Logo TNG
- Second Life
- Teen Second Life
- QuestGarden: Where Great Webquests Grow
- WebQuest Portal
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- iPad App Smashing Green Screen Videos from YouTube - 2016
- Add Questions to YouTube Videos for Class Discussions - 2015
- Block Video Ads in YouTube - 2014
- Create a Custom Google Gadget for Blogger or Google Sites - 2012
- 10 Slots Remain for Celebrate Oklahoma Voices Workshop in Yukon: 19-21 Jan 2011 - 2011
- What websites should be whitelisted on school content filters? - 2011
- Oklahoma Political Themes: Fire Rural School Superintendents and Overpaid State Physicians - 2011
- Great first impressions of videoconferencing via Google Chat - 2009
- Discussing the documentary Crystal Darkness at UCO with Oklahoma A+ Schools - 2009
- Join me on Ustream from UCO Tuesday for the Crystal Darkness Documentary Post-Show - 2009