This evening a cold front is making its way across central Oklahoma, and we are witnesses to a grand display of lightning off to the east. My wife and I haven’t sat outside and watched a lightning storm together in a LONG time– in part because in our last house, we didn’t have a front porch and the view of the sky from our back porch was almost completely obscured by trees. (I know, when you think of Lubbock, Texas, you don’t typically think “view of the sky obscured by trees,” but that WAS the case.)
This evening we’ve been sitting on the back porch watching the lightning, and remarking how bright several of the stars look. I felt pretty sure the red star we were seeing almost right overhead is Mars, and so I turned to Stellarium (a free, open source and multi-platform star map/planetarium program) to check.
Sure enough, we’re looking at Mars! Wow it looks red tonight! Combined with the lightning to the east, it makes for quite a show.
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Another Way to Create a New Posterous Account - 2013
- Playing with Collabracam for The Zebra Print Webshow - 2012
- Free iPhone Turn by Turn Driving Directions with Waze - 2011
- Implications of Radical Change to Cultural Access - 2010
- Yodler's Fondue: A Winter Family Favorite - 2010
- Evaluation of the Fluent News iPhone app - 2010
- IWB Workshops, Anyone? - 2010
- Google Sites is a great wiki and website builder - 2009
- Looking for a professional development speaker on January 19th? - 2009
- Morning with the Practical Principals - 2008