Waze is a social mobile application providing free turn-by-turn navigation based on the live conditions of the road. 100% powered by users, the more you drive, the better it gets. Join the community of drivers in your area today!
Today on a trip to the Dallas area to reconnoiter office furniture from IKEA for our new Storychasers office, I had an extended opportunity to put Waze through its paces. I was very impressed how it recalculated routes based on my position as well as local traffic reports and updates from nearby Waze users.
The Waze app (also available for other mobile platforms besides iPhone) doesn’t let you text while driving. It senses your movement via GPS, and you can only enter text into the app when stopped. Other navigational options can be selected while in motion, however.
It even gives Smokey reports! (Ah, remember the old days of CB radio, talking to truckers on channel 19?!)
Like Foursquare or Gowalla, users earn points using the app. The more you use the app and contribute information, the better the app can assist everyone with navigation. Very cool, and very powerful! Give Waze a try – It’s free and the best navigational aid I’ve used to date on my iPhone.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Digital Literacy Challenge: Create an Information Filter Bot - 2017
- Application Deadline for ClassenSAS: Jan 23, 2015 - 2015
- Another Way to Create a New Posterous Account - 2013
- Playing with Collabracam for The Zebra Print Webshow - 2012
- Implications of Radical Change to Cultural Access - 2010
- Yodler's Fondue: A Winter Family Favorite - 2010
- Evaluation of the Fluent News iPhone app - 2010
- IWB Workshops, Anyone? - 2010
- Google Sites is a great wiki and website builder - 2009
- Looking for a professional development speaker on January 19th? - 2009