During my breakout sessions today at the STARtech conference in Salina, Kansas, I invited participants to reflect on the meaning of Dr. Martin Luther King’s dream for them today: At their school, in their community, in their own context. I used the first image of Dr. King included on his current WikiPedia page, and then we shared some reflections using VoiceThread. For the first time, I used my new M-Audio Producer microphone on a Windows XP computer as a microphone, as well as VoiceThread’s “record via cell phone” feature. The producer worked GREAT, sound quality was clear and we didn’t need to make any modifications to the default settings. The record via cell phone worked well too, but the audio quality was noticably poorer. VoiceThread provides 3 free minutes of recording via cell phone, but I went ahead and paid $10 for an additional hour of recording time on my account so I can use this more in future workshops. I’m not sure if the free VoiceThread account for educators includes unlimited cell phone calling or not. We worked on this digital story both during my morning session on VoiceThread and my afternoon session about using cell phones as classroom learning tools.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Free Workshop in Oklahoma City Fri Feb 8: Creating Games & Simulations with Scratch - 2013
- Highlights from the 2013 Trappers Rendezvous Campout - 2013
- Create a Custom Digital Newspaper on your iPad with Flipboard & Google Reader - 2012
- OAESP Grant for Student Videography at Mustang, Elementary (Oklahoma) - 2012
- Vision for Educational Leadership in 30 Seconds: A Challenge #digitalvision2011 - 2011
- Things I Want To Model As Your Teacher - 2010
- iTunes - Age Restricted Material - 2010
- Taking class attendance with cell phone SMS messages and PollEverywhere - 2010
- Geotagged iReports from President Obama's Inauguration - 2009
- Podcast219: Powerful Tools, Powerful Possibilities - 2008