This video podcast is a short screencast describing how you can use the free website management tool CPanel (provided by my own webhost, Siteground, as well as many others) to set up a subdomain on your website. The main reason to set up a subdomain is so you can use a subdomain web address to tell other people how to find your website. As an example, my main website is speedofcreativity.org. I have WordPress installed at the root level of my domain. I have other instances of WordPress installed into subdomains of my website, however, which gives these sites their own unique addresses. Of course I could have simply installed these programs in subdirectories of my site, but I think it looks more professional and its handier to use subdomains. Examples of subdomains on my main website are our family learning blog: learningsigns.speedofcreativity.org, my personal Moodle site: moodle.speedofcreativity.org, a Christian team-blog to which I contribute: eyesright.speedofcreativity.org, and my personal wiki: wiki.speedofcreativity.org. I have installed (but not used lately) the free wiki engine TikiWiki on my personal wiki site. More recently I installed and have worked with MediaWiki on the StoryChaser’s project wiki: wiki.storychasers.org. If the ideas and information included in this podcast are helpful and of interest to you, please leave a comment on this blog post. Good luck!
- Subdomain defined (WikiPedia)
- cPanel (WikiPedia)
- Siteground (my web host)
- Screenflow (the program I used to create this screencast)
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Opening Doors for Students: An ISTE 2013 Ignite Presentation - 2013
- Reflections from the Bund in Shanghai - 2011
- Time to ditch Diigo or pay up? - 2010
- Anyone Studying Student Access to Khan Academy Videos on Netbooks? - 2010
- Farewell Bloglines, my first digital newspaper - 2010
- Arrange iPhone icons now in iTunes 9.0 - 2009
- Addressing the R Word Proactively and Flagging YouTube Videos - 2009
- No time to make a video? No problem with Animoto! - 2007
- Educational change agents wanted - 2007
- Free webinar on 1:1 computing best practices - 2007