This video podcast is a short screencast describing how you can use the free website management tool CPanel (provided by my own webhost, Siteground, as well as many others) to set up a subdomain on your website. The main reason to set up a subdomain is so you can use a subdomain web address to tell other people how to find your website. As an example, my main website is speedofcreativity.org. I have WordPress installed at the root level of my domain. I have other instances of WordPress installed into subdomains of my website, however, which gives these sites their own unique addresses. Of course I could have simply installed these programs in subdirectories of my site, but I think it looks more professional and its handier to use subdomains. Examples of subdomains on my main website are our family learning blog: learningsigns.speedofcreativity.org, my personal Moodle site: moodle.speedofcreativity.org, a Christian team-blog to which I contribute: eyesright.speedofcreativity.org, and my personal wiki: wiki.speedofcreativity.org. I have installed (but not used lately) the free wiki engine TikiWiki on my personal wiki site. More recently I installed and have worked with MediaWiki on the StoryChaser’s project wiki: wiki.storychasers.org. If the ideas and information included in this podcast are helpful and of interest to you, please leave a comment on this blog post. Good luck!
- Subdomain defined (WikiPedia)
- cPanel (WikiPedia)
- Siteground (my web host)
- Screenflow (the program I used to create this screencast)
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- STEM and Coding in Yukon Public Schools Featured on Oklahoma Horizon TV - 2016
- Navigating the Minefield of College Admissions Risks and Rewards - 2016
- Opening Doors for Students: An ISTE 2013 Ignite Presentation - 2013
- Reflections from the Bund in Shanghai - 2011
- Time to ditch Diigo or pay up? - 2010
- Anyone Studying Student Access to Khan Academy Videos on Netbooks? - 2010
- Farewell Bloglines, my first digital newspaper - 2010
- Arrange iPhone icons now in iTunes 9.0 - 2009
- Addressing the R Word Proactively and Flagging YouTube Videos - 2009
- No time to make a video? No problem with Animoto! - 2007