In December of 2007 a friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer, and spent essentially all of 2008 battling it in a fight for her life. Thankfully, after a bone marrow transplant and a multitude of other treatments, she made it through that dark valley in her life and is doing very well now. This is literally nothing short of a miracle. Throughout her hospital stay, she along with family and friends kept me updated on her status via the free website CaringBridge.
Tonight I visited with another friend who has a parent in intensive care here in Oklahoma City, and he asked about a website he’d heard me talk about for sending out free SMS updates to friends and family. (Textmarks) I recommended that he give CaringBridge a try, not only because it facilitates communication OUT to friends and family, but also because it permits comments and feedback from others. This can be VERY important and meaningful during a difficult time of struggle with health or other issues.
According to the CaringBridge “About Our Service” page:
Every free, personalized CaringBridge website includes:
– Patient care journal to update family and friends
– Guestbook for messages of love
– Photo gallery
– Free online support for using the service
Over 150,000 families have used CaringBridge to date. I think this is a fantastic way web 2.0 technologies can and are being used to bring and keep people closer together. CaringBridge is a good example of a humanizing technology. Family and friends don’t have to visit the CaringBridge website every day to stay up-to-date, the site permits email updates as well.
Are you aware or have you used other websites like CaringBridge to help loved ones stay in touch during a hospitalization or other time of crisis?
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Register for iPad Media Camp in Summer 2014 in Illinois, Texas, Kansas & Oklahoma! - 2014
- UCO Dumps Epic One on One Charter School - 2011
- Free Project Gutenberg eBooks Download Directly to Kindle for iPad - 2011
- The Frontiers Beckon (NASA video) - 2011
- Blog posts that hide spoilers - 2010
- Implications of (almost) free online storage for educators and students - 2010
- It's Time for a New Kind Of University - 2009
- A Creative Designer's Solicitation for Employment via StopMotion - 2009
- Gabcast recording auto-post to WordPress.com successful, not with Blogger - 2009
- Learning about Internet safety in Travian - 2008