I love social studies, history, geography and the intersections of these content areas with technology. I read an email from Jeff Mummert on February 1st with interest, in which he explained how The Civil War Augmented Reality Project has evolved to become an LLC: HistoriQuest. Jeff explained in the email how HistoriQuest aims to specifically address the following educational, technological, and tourism challenges:
- Few sites offer real educational interactivity- involving user
choices that change stories and promote creative and critical
- The internet alone has not really “knocked down museum walls,”
mobile technology has.
- Physical activity and mental challenge are integral parts of learning.
- Technology is a tool, not an educational objective.
- Most members of the public must see the value of a technology
before adopting it.
- There are a vast number of communities with ignored but valuable
stories to tell.
- Mobile technology can help to positively settle the land
ownership and zoning controversies in public history.
As we consider the (hopefully) imminent development and release of an iOS/Android application for Storychasers, I’m watching projects like HistoriQuest with heightened interest. Our abilities to create mash-ups of content including videos, images, audio recordings, and text overlaid with maps and mobile applications providing real-time / current-context information is extremely exciting. I’m betting we’re going to see great things from HistoriQuest in the months ahead.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- The Mobile Storyteller of North Canton City Schools, Ohio - 2018
- Security, Privacy, and Digital Citizenship (February 2017) - 2018
- Learning at #TXeducamp in Denton, Texas - 2016
- Find & Highlight Duplicates in Excel 2011 for Mac - 2015
- Student Oral Reports with School Hallway Dioramas via AudioBoo - 2013
- Manipulated FoxNews Video Shows Why eBooks are the WRONG Choice for K-12 1:1 Environments - 2011
- Photo memories in an old box - 2010
- WordPress for iPhone 2.2 Even Better - 2010
- Fun with XTimeline and myWebspiration - 2009
- Howe Oklahoma Students lead virtual field trip at Fort Smith, Arkansas - 2009