These are my notes from the January 30, 2012, Oklahoma City WordPress User’s group meet-up at The Div in Edmond. WordPress is a free, open-source content management system used by tons of folks worldwide to create websites. MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS.
http://yesdancan.com is the website Dan Lovejoy built by hand (not with WordPress) to get a job – and he got a job!
– build websites with iThemesBuilder and focused a lot on SEO issues
Other web links for other attendees tonight:
http://www.heliumscraper.com (.net webpage screenscraper)
(if I missed your link and you attended please share it via a comment or Twitter)
“It’s tough to be a professional photographer today, because everyone is a photographer”
I shared a presentation on “Go Mobile with WordPress.” My links are on wfryer.me/wp
I also recorded my audio from this presentation using Cinch on my iPad
Now hearing from Dan Lovejoy on SEO and WordPress
Lots of important things to remember when writing for the web
– also important to write SEO (search engine optimized) content
– CRO = conversion rate optimization
Writing SEO copy is hard
– writing natural copy is hard
– writing conversation optimized copy is hard
SEO is optimizing your page or site for specific keywords
– standard line from web masters: if you just build it and write a lot of content on it, you’ll attract the traffic
– “being a content thought leader is a higher calling than SEO”
– there is a scientific process of optimizing specific pages for specific keywords
Avoid using a period in your phrase, but you can use a semicolon, comma, and m-dash or n-dash
– when you define SEO targets you generally want to use phrases rather than keywords
– “the longer the tail” you have using the Google Adwords tool, you can try to find keywords people aren’t ranking for but there is traffic
– you want to look for keywords in the 3 – 7% density (as of now) otherwise you can get ‘thumped’ by Google (Googe either puts a penalty on your page rank or de-indexes you)
– SEO has changed a lot even since November 2011 when I stopped doing this professionally
If you are already in the top six of Google search pages, you’re good
– people are drilling down in Google searches more now (we used to say you need to be on the top 3 pages)
– it is better to be 11 rather than 9…
David Christopher was Google SEO-guru at OPUBCO who taught Dan a LOT
My question about Bing: It looks like optimizing for Google does the same thing for Bing search
WordPress is a GREAT tool for SEO
– all the tools are available
– we use All-In-One SEO WordPress plugin
– make sure post titles contain keywords
– make sure post title propagates to your page title
– write a click-optimized custom page description for each (human readable URLs are very important to Google)
– the META KEYWORDS field doesn’t matter
Watch out for duplicate content, it won’t ‘kill you’ like it used to, but it can dilute the power of your inbound links
Key: cross-posting is bad for SEO, it can dilute the power of your inbound links
– if using Posterous site, set it up to be NO INDEX (change robots tags to tell Google not to look at the site)
Post titles should use an H1 tag on the title
– don’t use multiple H1 tags!
– if your theme doesn’t do this, you need to get a new theme or change it
– make sure you use semantic markup (H2, H3, etc) for internal headings
– use only absolutely necessary plug-ins (page speed matters)
Google indexes keywords that are higher on a page
Google tracks how good your inbound links, Google knows what your PPC (pay per clicks) are, your keyword density, your interlinking….
– that is how Google knows about how long people stay on your site
– human reviewers also go to sites for Google (mainly checking for spam and garbage on your site)
Comment from attendee: Google doesn’t put a real person on a site unless it has more than 100,000 inbound links, they don’t care about sites with 10K or 20K links
Any time you have a person creating a real link, that is ‘white hat SEO’
– there is a sea of garbage that people create, that stuff is way down on Google results…
JC Pennys got ‘slapped’ really hard by using ‘black hat SEO’ methods
I HAD TO GO PICK UP MY SON FROM SCOUTS AT THIS POINT, SO I COULDN’T STAY FOR MORE… GREAT STUFF FROM DAN!
Please support my STEM classroom Donor's Choose project: "Applying STEM Skills with Robotic Sphero Balls. Use the promo code INSPIRE at checkout to double your donation (up to $100) thanks to a match from DonorsChoose.org.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Initial Minecraft Competition World Created with MCEdit - 2014
- Create Multiple Audioboo Channels with the Same Gmail Address - 2013
- Nice Cat (An amazing story of encouragement for artistic creativity) - 2013
- StoryRobe + ReelDirector = Hybrid Mobile Video #edapps - 2011
- Schools pretend this world of publish at will media doesn't exist - 2010
- Digital Witness to President Obama's Inauguration - 2009
- Opening minds about cell phones for learning - 2008
- Vista is out, but do educators care? - 2007
- Oklahoma videoconferencing in USA Today - 2007
- iWeb blog interface - 2006