Today in Bethany, Oklahoma, I spent the day introducing about fifty elementary teachers to “Mapping Media to the Common Core.” We learned to create narrated slideshows with EduCreations, create enhanced eBooks with Book Creator for iPad, create “narrated art” with AudioBoo, share “5 Photo Stories” to a Blogger site with email, and why it can be helpful to introduce students to “visual notetaking.” To start the day, we watched and discussed the video, “Good Night iPad” by Ayn Droid.
Here’s the two minute AudioBoo “narrated art” recording we created together in the workshop after seeing these videos, “Comparing Goodnight iPad & Morgan’s Search Story.”
This learning strategy of using two different videos to help students identify similarities and differences is an excellent one, and I particularly enjoy pairing it with an audio platform like AudioBoo. This is a slide I shared with teachers highlighting recommended instructional strategies from Robert Marazano’s book “Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement.”
Technology alone does not increase student achievement or improve student test scores! Effective instructional strategies which utilize technologies, however, can be wonderful for helping students learn… and yes, even improve test scores. They also, however, can make for engaging and fun learning activities!
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Podcast418: Jennie Magiera's Inspirational Keynote From EdTechTeacher Summit July 2014 - 2014
- Professionally Mobilize Your WordPress Blog with PluginBuddy Mobile - 2012
- The Hobbit in Five Minutes [Video] - 2011
- Look for innovations which change the script - 2010
- A delicious facelift, skypecast drawbacks, and a new Flickr site - 2008
- Drupal versus Ning for Learning Community Websites - 2008
- links for 2008-07-31 - 2008
- Drupal dabbling begins - 2008
- Glimpsing the future of television - 2007
- Whitelisting websites - what a pain! - 2007