Today during our lunch break at the “Create, Make and Learn Institute”, I picked up a copy of the July – August September 2014 newsletter of the Peace and Justice Center in Burlington, Vermont. The newsletter includes an article by Dr. Rob Williams, board president of ACME: Action Coalition for Media Education, titled, “Fight for the Light! A response to the film Shadows of Liberty.” Rob advocates media literacy education for students and citizens of all ages for multiple reasons. I like how he juxtaposes video cameras and pencils, along with blogs and textbooks in his article. In response to the question, “What should we do” in the face of journalism in dominated by the “Lords of the Cloud (Facebook, Amazon, Google, and Apple)” he wrote:
First, promote cradle-to-grave media literacy education in every classroom and community; every thinking citizen must be taught how to “read and write” across multiple media platforms, in keeping with the most enlightened of the Framers’ emphasis on public education and the importance of virtuous citizenship. Students should know how to use a video camera as well as a pencil, and a blog platform as easily as a textbook.
by Wesley Fryer
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Wind Energy in the Classroom at Podstock 2013 - 2013
- Lessons Learned Teaching Mapping Media Last Semester as a Blended Course - 2013
- A Video Lecture You Won't Soon Forget: Video Games and Storytelling - 2012
- Webcasting with Ustream, an iPad, a Tripod & an XLR Boundary Microphone - 2012
- It's not a real spider, it's just a smartphone - 2011
- Alan November's website was hacked - 2010
- River Rafting in Colorado with Buffalo Joe's on the Arkansas River - 2010
- A free online musical - But watch out - No ratings here... - 2008
- Know any fantastic Drupal developers? - 2008
- 50 iPhone emails today - 2007