I had a GREAT day today at the Oklahoma A+ Schools annual conference. I’ll be posting a new photo set to Flickr tomorrow with images of the conference. Of all the educational organizations in Oklahoma I have encountered to date, A+ “gets it” more than any others in terms of the pedagogical reforms we need to see in schools. “The “eight essential commitments” are at the heart of the A+ philosophy, and include a focus on:
- Multiple Intelligences
- Experiential Learning
- Enriched Assessment
In addition to recording part of the opening ceremony at today’s conference, which was quite moving and inspirational, I also recorded about six interviews with different organizational representatives that sponsored booths at the conference. In contrast to many conferences, which are open to any vendor, the A+ conference requires that vendors justify how their educational products or services specifically address and meet their pedagogical commitments.
The A+ Schools organization is a participant and contributor to the Oklahoma Creativity Project, which kicked off in 2006 with an inspirational presentation by Sir Ken Robinson If you haven’t seen his 2006 TED Talk presentation exploring the question, “Do Schools Kill Creativity?” take time to view it.
I am SO enthused to connect with so many other passionate educators in our state, motivated to make a positive difference each day in the lives of school children and ALSO work to improve the overall climate, culture, and everyday practices of schools! As the state education Arts Director Glen Henry said in the opening video, “Now is the time.” Now is the time for school reform to move forward, and there aren’t many ideas and goals better than CREATIVITY and ENCOURAGING CREATIVITY to put at the center of the school reform agenda.
Long live creativity in schools! Wahoo for using the arts in all content areas for learning! 🙂
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- 4th Grade Virtual Tour of a California Mission in Minecraft - 2013
- Oklahoma STEM Updates from Jeff Downs (August 2012) - 2012
- Identifying Barriers to Creativity in Schools #blackfootETC - 2011
- Online Learning with Montana Digital Academy #blackfootETC - 2011
- Filtering the Information Flood: Strategies for Effectively Teaching Online - 2011
- Dr Tim Tyson on our need for visionary educational leadership - 2010
- Notes from LoTi Administrator Institute led by Dean Mantz (afternoon) - 2009
- Notes from LoTi Administrator Institute led by Dean Mantz (morning) - 2009
- Congrats to Scott Hudson: Eagle Scout at age 36 - 2008
- DOPA actions? - 2006