I love social studies, history, geography and the intersections of these content areas with technology. I read an email from Jeff Mummert on February 1st with interest, in which he explained how The Civil War Augmented Reality Project has evolved to become an LLC: HistoriQuest. Jeff explained in the email how HistoriQuest aims to specifically address the following educational, technological, and tourism challenges:
- Few sites offer real educational interactivity- involving user
choices that change stories and promote creative and critical
- The internet alone has not really “knocked down museum walls,”
mobile technology has.
- Physical activity and mental challenge are integral parts of learning.
- Technology is a tool, not an educational objective.
- Most members of the public must see the value of a technology
before adopting it.
- There are a vast number of communities with ignored but valuable
stories to tell.
- Mobile technology can help to positively settle the land
ownership and zoning controversies in public history.
As we consider the (hopefully) imminent development and release of an iOS/Android application for Storychasers, I’m watching projects like HistoriQuest with heightened interest. Our abilities to create mash-ups of content including videos, images, audio recordings, and text overlaid with maps and mobile applications providing real-time / current-context information is extremely exciting. I’m betting we’re going to see great things from HistoriQuest in the months ahead.
photo © 2010 Tom | more info (via: Wylio)
android, app, edtech, education, ios, learning, mobile, technology, history, socialstudies, geography, design, augmented, reality
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Tags and Hashtag Literacy - 2022
- The Mobile Storyteller of North Canton City Schools, Ohio - 2018
- Security, Privacy, and Digital Citizenship (February 2017) - 2018
- Learning at #TXeducamp in Denton, Texas - 2016
- Find & Highlight Duplicates in Excel 2011 for Mac - 2015
- Student Oral Reports with School Hallway Dioramas via AudioBoo - 2013
- Manipulated FoxNews Video Shows Why eBooks are the WRONG Choice for K-12 1:1 Environments - 2011
- Photo memories in an old box - 2010
- WordPress for iPhone 2.2 Even Better - 2010
- Fun with XTimeline and myWebspiration - 2009