This is a blog post that will probably make the marketing department at Continental Resources, here in Oklahoma City, happy. This afternoon as I drove my 13 year old to a theater for an evening performance, she asked, “What is horizontal drilling?” The ads by Continental like the billboard in the photo below are apparently working to spark consumer curiosity.
These ads attempt to educate the public by equating horizontal drilling with societal innovations like the light bulb and the Internet. I would have a more positive view of this marketing hyperbole if our current oil-based gold rush was having a positive influence on the provision of important state services like public education, prison funding, department of human services funding, etc. Unfortunately, it isn’t.
If you don’t live in Oklahoma, I’m guessing you don’t have highway billboards like this evangelizing the professed blessings of horizontal drilling. Is this perception on target?
I’m glad Sarah and I had an opportunity to not only discuss what horizontal drilling is tonight, but also the powerful influence of the Oklahoma oil and gas lobby on our state politics and budget. But-for that roadside billboard, I don’t think we would have had that talk tonight.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Updating My Food Blog: Cook with Wes! - 2021
- Stopmotion Project Tips & Advice - 2014
- Fun Musical iPad Apps - 2012
- Parent Legislative Action Committee in Oklahoma City on Education Reform: Nov 29, 2012 - 2012
- Connecting Students and Countries: London to Oklahoma with PopUpSchool #cwf2010 #popupschool - 2010
- Opening Ceremony at the 2010 Creativity World Forum #cwf2010 - 2010
- Creative Placemaking at the Creativity World Forum #cwf2010 - 2010
- Sir Ken Robinson, Daniel Pink and David Pogue the Creativity World Forum #cwf2010 - 2010
- Debating the propriety of blanket censorship by school IT departments - 2009
- Harry Potter Puppet Show on YouTube - 2009