I’ve been teaching and working in education since 1995. The past 3 years, as I’ve served as a media literacy teacher, instructional coach for our teachers, and (last year) an introductory Spanish teacher have been some of my best ever. Yesterday afternoon and evening, I recorded and edited a 17 minute video I titled, “15 Things I Love About My Classroom (and teaching situation!)”
Work and life for teachers today in Oklahoma and elsewhere in our nation and world can be VERY challenging. Education Week recently reported that job satisfaction for U.S. teachers has reached an all-time low. Amidst all these challenges, however, I want to share how much I still LOVE teaching and consider it a fantastic profession, and how thankful I am for so many things about my current teaching role and classroom situation. I certainly have taught in much more challenging and difficult situations, so that makes me really appreciate many of the things about my current teaching role. I do NOT take these things for granted.
My wife and I are looking forward to moving to Charlotte, North Carolina, this summer, where I’ll start a new middle school computer science teaching job at Providence Day School. I’ve started the process of copying over my media literacy lessons and curriculum from my current school Google Site to a personal “Lessons by Dr. Fryer” Google Site. So many details to attend to and so much work to be done in making this transition. Our family has lived and worked in Oklahoma now for 16 years!
If you have feedback on the ideas shared in this video please comment here, on the YouTube video itself, reach out via Twitter, or use my electronic contact form. Other ways to connect with and follow me are linked on wesfryer.com/after.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Tips for Parents Paying for College - 2016
- Blogs I Follow (From a Feedly OPML Export) - 2014
- Transitioning from Print to a Digital Learning Ecosystem by Richard Culatta - 2012
- Opening Remarks by Janet Barresi: Oklahoma Digital Learning Summit - 2012
- Remembering April 19, 1995 - 2010
- Meeting with a future education leader: What would you say in 60 minutes? - 2010
- A Slidecast on Designing School 2.0 - 2009
- links for 2008-04-19 - 2008
- Be careful, be critical - 2007
- Permission to fail - 2007