Lots of technologies and fads seem to come and go. I wouldn’t put RSS and blogging in those categories, however.
The article “RSS feeds future revealed” is right on target, in my opinion. The term “RSS” is still relatively unknown, but you just have to look at what heavyweights like Yahoo and MSN are doing to integrate it into their services. As usual, Microsoft is being slow on the uptake with their browser support for RSS, but this is planned for Windows Vista in late 2006 (formerly “Longhorn.”) Apple already has RSS integrated into its Safari web browser, again as usual setting the standard / staying one step ahead of many others.
I do disagree, however, with the article author’s predication that we’ll see consolidation to just one or two RSS readers in the market. Look what is happening in other areas, like web browsers and podcast receivers. The proliferation of alternatives in the marketplace of creativity continues to move the Internet community forward, and I think a safer bet is that RSS development will continue to explode– rather than consolidate within just a few readers. That is “old thinking”– thinking that folks like Bill Gates would love to be true. But you know, “The World is Flat.” That wasn’t true a few years ago, but today it is.
Thank goodness, because I was really sick of so many websites being IE compatible only!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- 4th Grade Virtual Tour of a California Mission in Minecraft - 2013
- Oklahoma STEM Updates from Jeff Downs (August 2012) - 2012
- Identifying Barriers to Creativity in Schools #blackfootETC - 2011
- Online Learning with Montana Digital Academy #blackfootETC - 2011
- Filtering the Information Flood: Strategies for Effectively Teaching Online - 2011
- Dr Tim Tyson on our need for visionary educational leadership - 2010
- Podcast325: Implementing a Shared Vision for Digital Learning in Kingman, Kansas - 2009
- Notes from LoTi Administrator Institute led by Dean Mantz (afternoon) - 2009
- Notes from LoTi Administrator Institute led by Dean Mantz (morning) - 2009
- Congrats to Scott Hudson: Eagle Scout at age 36 - 2008