Over the Pond and Through the Fiber #2: This international skypecast features educators from Canada, Scotland, and the United States defining and discussing the new story David Warlick has challenged us to help tell with our students. We probably raised more questions than we answered, but again it was exciting as well as empowering to engage in dialog with other educators passionate about teaching and learning in the 21st century. Some of the questions we raised and answered include: How can we get a critical mass of educators convinced of the efficacy of using web 2.0 tools? What is the new story? What is the impact of flat world technology on education? Why has the impact of flat world tech not been felt much in classrooms, and why isn’t it spreading faster? Is the real question more about teaching, learning, and assessment rather than technology? Why should teachers change the way they teach students using new technologies? How can we share our successes as well as failures with others? What technologies can serve as constructive amplifiers to support effective teaching and learning practices? Why is blogging transformative? How can teachers help students experience similar excitement and engagement through their use of read/write web tools to that described by many of us in this skypecast?
Program Length: 58 min, 09 sec
File size: 14.0 MB
Show notes for this podcast include:
- Telling the New Story by David Warlick
- Darren Kuropatwa’s blog: A Difference
- Darren’s classroom blog feed river (suprglu site)
- Ewan McIntosh’s blog: edublog
- Communicate.06 – Scottish CILT’s national conference
- Naked Conversations Blog
- Miguel Guhlin’s blog: Mousing Around
- Miguel’s pre-skype conference notes
- Mark Ahlness’ EdTech Blog
- Mighty Writers: Mark’s 3rd grade classroom blog
- Jeff Allen’s Olympic ESD 114 Ed Tech Blog
- The Big Picture Company
- Wesley Fryer’s blog: Moving at the Speed of Creativity
- Our skypecast planning and idea wiki
- Pre-skypecast survey results and input
- Clarence Fisher’s Class, “Excellence and Imagination”
- Bob Sprankle’s Class, Room 208
- Tony Vincent
- “The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century” (Thomas Friedman’s Book)
- MSN Spaces
- Queensbury High School in West Yorkshire, Scotland
- Class Blogmeister
- The MET School in Rhode Island
- Curriculum as Mashup (an article by David Warlick)
- I Love This Blog by Anne Davis (actually the post title is “A Math Weblog to Note!”)
- Pull vs. Push Education by Will Richardson
- Our first international skypecast: Thinking Critically About Web 2.0
- Software used for this Skypecast: Skype, Audio Hijack Pro and Audacity
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- 3 Ways to Become a More Connected Educator During the COVID-19 Crisis - 2020
- Lessons Gleaned from the Life of Joseph Priestley - 2017
- Don't Use an AT&T Phone Overseas Without an International Calling Plan - 2016
- Inspired by the First All-Female USAF Boeing E-3 Sentry Air Crew - 2013
- Student "Confession Pages" Trend Highlights Free Speech Issues & Need to Address Ethics / Digital Citizenship - 2013
- Playing With Media Trailer: Modeling Technology Use as the Superintendent - 2012
- Global Collaboration (including The Arab Spring Project) at Yarmouth High School - 2012
- Microsoft Copying Apple Store Experience - 2011
- Feedburner Feed and Yahoo Pipe Updated (no longer frozen on Feb 18th post) - 2011
- Terms of Service Agreements Users Don't Read - 2011