I just discovered Google’s blog search engine, which is also integrated within Blogger. I have heard about this before I guess, but never actually visited the site and tried it. Since Google Blog Search doesn’t seem to directly support tagging, I think Technorati is still better, but hey– this is Google, so it’s bound to get better and stay on the map for blog searching.
I like how the bottom of each page has ATOM and RSS subscription links that you can save and subscribe to with your aggregator of choice. (Mine is Bloglines.) This is SUPER for doing research on a topic, especially if the research is conducted over an extended period of time. Fresh content just shows up in your custom RSS feed. You can do this with Technorati by registering (for free) and setting up a watchlist.
Google News also has similar functionality– after you do a search on Google News, check out the left sidebar links for RSS and ATOM feeds. The news alerts are very cool and powerful also. School district administrators might consider setting up a Google News alert for their school district’s name. That way, if any news article is published worldwide in the 4500+ news sources Google News tracks, the administrator can immediately receive an email including a link to the article. Digest (daily summary) versions of Google News alerts are also available, if your search query is commonly included in articles.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- David Jakes on Learning Spaces (April 2016) - 2016
- Scratch Camp Facilitator Workshop (April 2016) - 2016
- Podcast402: Montana Teachers Share "Why We Teach" - 2013
- Understanding Why eBooks "Feel Different" - 2013
- Separate Wifi Access Point Works Best with Apple TV on Busy Network - 2012
- Tips for adding images to Custom Google Maps #gct - 2011
- Podcast345: Open Educational Resources (OER) - Iowa 1:1 Institute - 2010
- Podcast344: Technology Trends in Higher Education (April 2010) - 2010
- How do you feel about students bringing laptops to class? - 2010
- Learners and teachers as tour guides - 2008