On the first day of class this semester in “Technology 4 Teachers” at the University of Central Oklahoma, I shared the following fifteen minute / nineteen slide presentation with my students on the topic, “Things I Want To Model As Your Teacher.” I’ve shared this as a synchronized Slidecast on SlideShare.
I tried to publish this entire Slidecast using the Ubuntu Netbook Remix operating system on my netbook, and was able to upload the PDF of slides in FireFox fine. I was not, however, able to open and listen to my mp3 audio recording or get my Plantronics headset to work readily. Rather than wrangle further with the OS, I just went back to my MacBook Pro to edit the audio in Audacity and publish this to SlideShare. I still need to get the Open1to1 Ubuntu image running on my netbook, which has over 100 educational applications pre-installed. I’m sure I’d have better luck using it for multimedia production with Linux on Ubuntu. This reaffirms the recommendation of our StoryChasers Mobile Learning Collaborative, that while students should be provided with netbooks running open source software in 1:1 projects, teachers should be equipped with Apple laptops running the best operating system for creating and sharing multimedia.
Hopefully the variety of classroom communication tools we are using in T4T this semester will help us realize many of the goals I discussed in this presentation. This was the list of things I shared in this preso:
- Mobile access to content
- Minds on, engaged F2F learning
- Hyperlinked writing
- Sharing as default behavior
- Presentation Zen
- Professional Digital Footprint
- Clear Expectations
- IP Understanding & Respect
- Daily Scribe Posts
- Deft swimming in a river of content
- Passion for Public Education
On the topic of “modeling for our students,” what have I left out? What sorts of things do YOU want and try to model for your students in class?
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Free Workshop in Oklahoma City Fri Feb 8: Creating Games & Simulations with Scratch - 2013
- Highlights from the 2013 Trappers Rendezvous Campout - 2013
- Create a Custom Digital Newspaper on your iPad with Flipboard & Google Reader - 2012
- OAESP Grant for Student Videography at Mustang, Elementary (Oklahoma) - 2012
- Vision for Educational Leadership in 30 Seconds: A Challenge #digitalvision2011 - 2011
- iTunes - Age Restricted Material - 2010
- Taking class attendance with cell phone SMS messages and PollEverywhere - 2010
- Geotagged iReports from President Obama's Inauguration - 2009
- Podcast219: Powerful Tools, Powerful Possibilities - 2008
- Reflections on Dr. King's Dream - 2008