A week ago at Northeastern State University in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, I shared a presentation with faculty titled, “Technology Trends in Higher Education.” During the session, I used a PollEveryWhere survey to ask attendees:
How do you feel about students bringing laptops to class?
These are the results from our faculty survey on April 9th.
While many faculty were positive, there were several session attendees who did NOT have positive perceptions of student laptops in the classroom.
Certainly this video portrays the far end of the spectrum when it comes to faculty perceptions about student laptops, and is likely not representative of a majority of professors. The issue of CONTROL is contentious in the classroom, however, both in higher education as well as K-12 classrooms. I think this video can provide a good context to discuss many of the issues which come up when everyone in the room has access to a mobile, wireless learning device.
Hat tip to Berlin Fang of Oklahoma Christian University for sharing this video during his presentation at the Heartland eLearning Conference at the University of Central Oklahoma in March.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- David Jakes on Learning Spaces (April 2016) - 2016
- Scratch Camp Facilitator Workshop (April 2016) - 2016
- Podcast402: Montana Teachers Share "Why We Teach" - 2013
- Understanding Why eBooks "Feel Different" - 2013
- Separate Wifi Access Point Works Best with Apple TV on Busy Network - 2012
- Tips for adding images to Custom Google Maps #gct - 2011
- Podcast345: Open Educational Resources (OER) - Iowa 1:1 Institute - 2010
- Podcast344: Technology Trends in Higher Education (April 2010) - 2010
- Learners and teachers as tour guides - 2008
- Comments I had missed - 2007