This podcast is a recording of Shannon Miller’s presentation with her students at the Iowa 1:1 Institute in Des Moines on April 7, 2010. The title of their presentation was, “Be The Change You Want To See In Schools: Integrating Technology and Making Connections to Create Change.” Shannon is the teacher librarian / media specialist / technology coordinator at Van Meter School in Iowa. All the resources referenced by Shannon and her students in this fantastic presentation are available on a Google Site she created, which is linked in the podcast shownotes. This is the first year of the 1:1 laptop program at Van Meter Schools. It is clear to me that Shannon, administrators at Van Meter, as well as students and teachers have embraced a powerful combination of ingredients to not simple “do school” as it has traditionally been delivered in classrooms, but rather intentionally seek to transform the teaching and learning process. As you’ll hear Shannon describe in her presentation, educators at Van Meter are helping students connect with their own passions in different domains. Students are not only writing and publishing about these topics, they are also reaching out to other experts in other places with Skype, Twitter, and other technologies. Van Meter schools are on the forefront of the learning revolution, and it was a treat to hear from Shannon as well as her students who are literally on the “front lines of change” at Van Meter. Please refer to the podcast shownotes for additional links and resources related to this presentation.
- Presentation Resources from Shannon Miller (Google Site)
- Shannon Miller on Twitter: @shannonmmiller
- Follow Van Meter updates with their district Twitter hash tag: #vanmeter
- Van Meter Community Schools, Iowa
- Van Meter Library VOICE Google Site
- Van Meter 1:1 Laptop Learning Initiative Google Site (all 1:1 resources, forms, etc from Van Meter)
- Van Meter Library VOICE Blog
- YouTube video by Van Meter student Maddy Darrah sharing how she connected through the library VOICE blog to author Amy Efaw
- Student Prezi about Van Meter student technology group C.E.W.L. (Computer Efficiency Workers League) helps integrate technology and troubleshoot problems/questions students & teachers have (by Marcus Benton)
- Van Meter student Michael Kinley has created a blog “Mike’s Tech News” and has a YouTube Channel to showcase several technology tutorials and school projects
- Van Meter student Josh Porter created an iMovie, “What Technology Means To Me” for a Facebook contest and a Van Meter Technology News Google Site to share technology news
- 2010 Iowa 1:1 Institute Wiki
- CASTLE: UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education
- My text notes from this session
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Comparing Risks and Benefits of a PreTeen YouTube Channel - 2016
- A Touching Sign Language Performance of David Phelps: No More Night - 2012
- Using iPadio to Create a Final Exam Study Guide Phonecast - 2011
- What I Hope You Learned (A Technology 4 Teachers Pecha Kutcha Presentation) - 2010
- Graffiti at Classen SAS - 2010
- Day 2 of SMART Notebook training at CSD - 2009
- Visualizing Progress - 2009
- Podcast250: An Overview of Streaming Video Formats, Standards, Technologies, and Considerations from John Copeland of VBrick - 2008
- Podcast249: Pimp My Ride (digitally) Southeast Oklahoma Style (An Interview with Lance Ford: Mac Jedi) - 2008
- The Mac Jedi's Homebrew Mobile Commander - 2008