As a third grade student in Maine, Sophie Towle became motivated to do something about our environment and recycling. As a result of her work with others in her community of South Berwick, the school district now recycles milk cartons and other organizations have taken notice. Sophie presented recently at a school cafeteria conference in Las Vegas. In this interview, she tells part of her story. She is an inspiration! We need to encourage Sophie and others like her who are not content to simply watch the news: Instead they MAKE the news by finding constructive ways to promote local change in the community.
Read more about Sophie’s environmental advocacy in the February 2009 Seacoastonline.com article, “Student touts recycle mindset.” The April 2008 BioCycle magazine article, “Cafeteria Composting In Southern Maine,” unfortunately requires a subscription login to view.
I interviewed Sophie earlier this month when my daughter and I visited South Berwick to stay with friends. Sophie won the “MEGAT 2009 Distinguished Student Award” for her environmental advocacy work. Sophie and her mom have been local champions of the “Nike Reuse a Shoe Program” and were recognized for their work in August 2009.
Please support my STEM classroom Donor's Choose project: "Applying STEM Skills with Robotic Sphero Balls. Use the promo code INSPIRE at checkout to double your donation (up to $100) thanks to a match from DonorsChoose.org.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Introduce Students to Coding with Hopscotch for iPad - 2013
- Basic, Intermediate and Advanced MinecraftEDU Challenges - 2013
- Adding a Flickr Contact on Apple TV - 2010
- Professional Portfolio and Resume Ideas - 2010
- Share the gift of Doodle this holiday season - for FREE! - 2008
- Movie trailers for books - Too bad they are not cross-platform compatible or published to permit feedback - 2008
- USS Oklahoma Memorial Dedication - 2007
- December 6th videoconference from Pearl Harbor - 2007
- Broadband Boot Camp for Educators - 2007
- Please ask them to podcast, coach! - 2006