Creativity doesn’t follow a formula, but it often exhibits patterns. Creative people frequently build on the ideas and work of others. This is true in the genre of film as well as other contexts. Kirby Ferguson powerfully explains how “creation requires influence” in his ten minute video, “Everything is a Remix Part 2.” In the middle of this video, Kirby explains many of the influences and models George Lucas used in the original Star Wars movie (Episode 4: A New Hope.) This section starts at the 2:54 mark of Kirby’s video. (3:14 for Star Wars specifically)
I knew about some of these influences from watching videos about “the making of Star Wars” in the past, but the references to Joseph Campell’s book, “The Hero with a Thousand Faces” or the “The Hero’s Journey” referred to as a “monomyth” were new to me.
The idea of creativity as “standing on the shoulders of giants” as well as your peers is also clearly communicated in the 2007 Creative Commons video, “Get Creative.”
Are you encouraging your students to remix the media of our world, and providing opportunities for them to do that constructively for course credit?
Cross-posted to the Storychasers blog.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Batting 1-1 With Three More Pitches Coming - 2016
- Student iPad Radio Shows Shared on YouTube - 2015
- Spots Still Available for Google Summit in OKC: Feb 21-22 - 2015
- Use Digital Voice Recorders to Hear Student Voices - 2012
- Stuff I Want to Share at OTA - Encyclo-Media 2012 - 2012
- Rupert Murdoch's Vision is Wrong - 2011
- Podcast337: Evangelizing Educational Transformation and 1:1 Learning in Iowa Schools - 2010
- Student voices in the Iowa legislature - 2010
- Podcast300: Educator Voices from the eTechOhio 2009 Conference - 2009
- How to Create a Great PowerPoint Without Breaking the Law: Take 2.0 by Alvin Trusty - 2009