We frequently hear people say “a picture is worth a thousand words,” but pictures can be worth far more to us when they can speak through an associated audio recording. Cloud-based audio recording services like AudioBoo.fm, Cinch.fm and iPadio.com offer students and teachers the ability to quickly create AND share “no edit” audio recordings. These sites create unique “channels” of audio content which can be readily accessed and shared. Depending on the site, audio can be posted to these channels using phones (as “phonecasts,”) using a microphone connected to an Internet-connected computer and a web browser, or with free smartphone applications.
As part of my chapter on audio for my forthcoming eBook, “Playing with Media: simple ideas for powerful sharing,” I created the following table to highlight the current differences between AudioBoo, Cinch and iPadio. Note ALL these services are FREE.
Do you know of other web services that should be included on this list?
Please consider “liking” the Facebook page I’ve created for my “Playing with Media” eBook to stay up to date. If all continues to go as planned/hoped, I’ll be publishing it next Wednesday in advance of my ISTE 2011 BYOL workshop, “Simple Ideas for Powerful Sharing.”
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Social Media in the Classroom: Amplifying our Students by Jennie Magiera & Autumn Laidler - 2013
- Visual Notetaking at ISTE 2013 - 2013
- Street Art + Stopmotion = Creative Digital Storytelling - 2012
- iPad Illustrations by Rachel Fryer (age 7) for #playingwithmedia - 2011
- The iTunes Album Which Was Lost Is Found! - 2011
- Optimize iTunes import settings for audio book CDs - 2010
- iPhone GS for Mobile Video Publication: A big battery disappointment - 2009
- UAV Exhibit at Smithsonian Air and Space - 2009
- Lots more stopmotion fun and lessons learned - 2008
- links for 2008-06-26 - 2008