Today I was using the website Wylio.com to search for Creative Commons licensed photos to use in some upcoming blog posts, and I searched for the terms, “education reform.” I came across the following two photos, which I took in 2007 when I was working for AT&T as a state education advocate. These are slogans I’d have given the company if I’d been in charge of educational marketing!
Of course I wasn’t in charge of marketing, and I ended up working for the company just another year after these photos were taken. It was a great job and I learned a lot, but it was challenging in many respects as well.
I never really liked the slogan, “Your world delivered.” I always thought we should go with something more along the lines of, “Empowering you to remix your world” or “Empowering you to invent the future.”
My preference for “empowering” over delivering has definitely colored my work since for Storychasers, the K-12 Online Conference, and in my upcoming eBook, “Playing with Media: simple ideas for powerful sharing.” Empowering is a much more appealing action verb for a teacher than “delivering.” At the top of the Kahn Academy website, similar to a McDonalds restaurant touting “billions and billions served,” Sal Kahn proclaims, “63,206,820 lessons delivered.” The word delivering reminds me of pizza. Empowering makes me consider ways to change the world. Words make a big difference.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Faster Home WiFi Via Ethernet Backhaul - 2020
- July PD in OKC: Google Docs, iPad Media Camp & Scratch Camp - 2012
- Storychasing NASA History at Space Center Houston - 2011
- Dell Inspiron duo Convertible Tablet at the Microsoft Store - 2011
- Screentime stats for youth and the Open Learning Exchange via @fastcompany - 2010
- Quickstart guides for Posterous and iPadio - 2010
- More book recommendations about the Middle East and Islam - 2010
- iTunes Account for a Child without a Credit Card - 2009
- 21st Century Skills Our Students Need - 2008
- A Message for my School Board - 2008