Sean Maday is a geospatial engineer at Google. He served as an Air Force intelligence officer from 2005 to 2010, and formerly worked for a research and development lab at the U.S. Air Force Academy. He holds a bachelor’s and master’s degree from Michigan State University.
Google Earth has now been downloaded and installed over a billion times
How do I make my maps link up to Google Maps or Google Earth?
– previously this has taken a lot of coding
Now we have Google Fusion Tables
– these have been around for 2 years
– spatially aware database in the cloud
– you interact with it via a web browser
– doesn’t matter if you’re on a desktop, laptop, or Chromebook
– power of the processing takes place with Google’s servers
Can show overlays of a heat map of earthquake intensity since 1973, and the location of nuclear power plans around the world
– newspapers are discoverable geographically
MY NOTES FROM THIS SESSION ARE WOEFULLY INADEQUATE TO CONVEY MY EXCITEMENT FOR THE INFO AND POWERFUL TOOLS SEAN JUST TOLD US ABOUT. I DID AUDIO RECORD HIS SESSION AND GOT HIS PERMISSION TO SHARE IT. GOOGLE FUSION TABLES ARE THE MOST EXCITING AND IMPORTANT THING I’VE LEARNED SO FAR HERE AT THE INSTITUTE… THIS IS THE REASON I TRAVELED TO MAINE… TO LEARN ABOUT THIS. WOW!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Digital Literacy Tips: Strategies for Online Fact Checking - 2016
- Four Upcoming iPad Digital Storytelling Workshops in Oklahoma - 2013
- Oklahoma Innovation Task Force Education Survey - 2013
- Common Core Writing Lesson With AudioBoo: 9/11 Narrated Art - 2012
- A Google Geo-Teacher Learning Day Story: In Tweets - 2011
- Google Earth and Google Maps GTI Workshop (Sep 2011) - 2011
- Visualizing Data in Google Earth - 2011
- Digital Grounding and loss of Facebook Privileges - 2010
- Follow tonight's Presidential debate on OETA's Political Pulse Blog - 2008
- CamTwist worked today for our webcast! - 2008