Sean Maday is a geospatial engineer at Google. He served as an Air Force intelligence officer from 2005 to 2010, and formerly worked for a research and development lab at the U.S. Air Force Academy. He holds a bachelor’s and master’s degree from Michigan State University.
Google Earth has now been downloaded and installed over a billion times
How do I make my maps link up to Google Maps or Google Earth?
– previously this has taken a lot of coding
Now we have Google Fusion Tables
– these have been around for 2 years
– spatially aware database in the cloud
– you interact with it via a web browser
– doesn’t matter if you’re on a desktop, laptop, or Chromebook
– power of the processing takes place with Google’s servers
Can show overlays of a heat map of earthquake intensity since 1973, and the location of nuclear power plans around the world
– newspapers are discoverable geographically
MY NOTES FROM THIS SESSION ARE WOEFULLY INADEQUATE TO CONVEY MY EXCITEMENT FOR THE INFO AND POWERFUL TOOLS SEAN JUST TOLD US ABOUT. I DID AUDIO RECORD HIS SESSION AND GOT HIS PERMISSION TO SHARE IT. GOOGLE FUSION TABLES ARE THE MOST EXCITING AND IMPORTANT THING I’VE LEARNED SO FAR HERE AT THE INSTITUTE… THIS IS THE REASON I TRAVELED TO MAINE… TO LEARN ABOUT THIS. WOW!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Digital Literacy Tips: Strategies for Online Fact Checking - 2016
- Podcast432: Dan Straughan Shares About the Oklahoma City Homeless Alliance - 2015
- Four Upcoming iPad Digital Storytelling Workshops in Oklahoma - 2013
- Oklahoma Innovation Task Force Education Survey - 2013
- Common Core Writing Lesson With AudioBoo: 9/11 Narrated Art - 2012
- A Google Geo-Teacher Learning Day Story: In Tweets - 2011
- Google Earth and Google Maps GTI Workshop (Sep 2011) - 2011
- Visualizing Data in Google Earth - 2011
- Digital Grounding and loss of Facebook Privileges - 2010
- Follow tonight's Presidential debate on OETA's Political Pulse Blog - 2008