So you finally got an iPad, but you’d like to increase the quality of audio recordings in your videos as well as audio interviews? Here are 3 different external microphone options for iPad to consider.
The iRig microphone ($60) is my top recommendation and the only microphone of these three options I’ve personally used as of this writing. (Full disclosure: IK Multimedia, the creators of the iRig, donated an iRig and other iOS goodies for me to give away in monthly drawings on SHARE: Playing with Media.) The iRig does a great job filtering out unwanted background audio during recordings. It’s my favorite iOS peripheral, EVER. We’ve record multiple audio and video interviews on the iPad2 with the iRig, my favorite is definitely, “The Hobbit in 5 Minutes.”
Option #2 to consider is a $10 iPad Audio Adapter from Speech Recognition Solutions. Your total cost will be more if you don’t already have a microphone with an 1/8″ mono input jack. If you do have an existing external microphone that will plug into this adapter, however, this would be your least expensive iOS external mic option.
Thanks to Daniel Espejo for sharing this iOS audio adapter via Twitter.
Option #3 is a bluetooth audio headset for iPad, like the Logitech Wireless Headset for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. That particular model is a little pricey on Amazon now at $70. Hat tip to Nancy Sharoff for sharing this mic option via Twitter.
Have you found or tried other external microphone options for an iPad? If so please chime in with comments.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Reasons to Invest in Education - 2011
- Captions and Cross-References for Automatic Page Numbers in MS Word - 2011
- Pennsylvania Newspaper Article / School Tech Director Misrepresents CIPA - 2011
- Ready for the Creativity World Forum #cwf2010 - 2010
- Learning about the amazing iOS Square Credit Card solution - 2010
- Remembering the amazing Grape iMac: 266 mHz with a 6 GB Hard Drive - 2010
- Accessing the web where URL shorteners don't work? Problem solved with Untiny - 2009
- Branching surveys and self-grading quizzes in Google Forms / Google Docs - 2009
- Ustream chat moderation lessons and Coursecasting opinions - 2008
- Negotiations with Siteground for alleged shared hosting account "abuse" continue - 2008