Today we cancelled our family trial subscription to Hulu Plus. Last week I shared my excitement at being able to use the free Hulu Plus iPad app and “mirror” from an iPad2 on Apple TV to watch TV programs on our television. In the end, however, the regular ADVERTISING in Hulu Plus (along with the additional monthly cost) proved too disagreeable to justify continuing our trial subscription. (Clarification: My wife and kids are the primary consumers of TV shows in our house. I watch every once in awhile, but not very often. I’m much more of a movie guy.)
Before our online cancellation request went through, Hulu tried one last time to keep us as subscribers.
Hulu also gave us a parting survey to explain why we cancelled.
After almost a year of NOT having cable TV at home and watching mainly Netflix programs, our family has become really sensitized to television commercials. The movie theater is about the only place we see ads anymore, before the feature film begins. Hulu and Hulu Plus may be cutting edge, Internet-based television… but it’s based in part on a “business-as-usual” model of force-feeding ads to customers. Having tasted ad-free movie and television program watching, however, it’s almost impossible to “go back” and accept so much forced advertising.
Bottom line: We reject Hulu and Hulu Plus because we dislike forced advertising. We’re sticking with Netflix!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Virtual Spaces Increasingly Shape Our Learning - 2016
- 2015 Classroom Challenge: STEM Curiosity Links - 2015
- Entrepreneurial Traits and Skills To Nurture in 2012 - 2012
- Tweets and Photos from Astronauts in Space: Consider the Possibilities! - 2011
- Welcome to Yarmouth High School: 8 Years of Successful 1:1 Learning - 2011
- K12Online09 on The Heartland Flyer - 2010
- Webapps as desktop apps with Prism and Fluid (site specific browsers - SSBs) - 2009
- Dinosaurs in Oklahoma and our initial museum iPod audio tour experience - 2009
- Updated content filtering wiki page - 2008
- Podcast213: Comparing Parental Control Options in Windows Vista and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard - 2008