Mat Cooper, a 5th grade teacher at Lakeview Elementary School in Yukon, Oklahoma, made his own interactive whiteboard with $60 of supplies including a Wii Remote ($40), a $17 infrared pen he ordered online, and a demo license of Smoothboard software . Earlier this week, I recorded a 3 minute video of Matt demonstrating and explaining how he did this in his classroom. I first met Matt in June during our STEM Seeds Professional Development Camp. He’s a very sharp guy! (And not YET on Twitter, in case you were wondering…)
For more information, directions, and ordering details for both the required infrared pen and Wii remote, visit WiiTeachers.com. The website includes a link for a discounted version of Smoothboard software also.
by Wesley Fryer
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- First Android-Edited Video: WeVideo App - 2014
- Create iPad eBooks with Recorded Audio and Text Highlights FREE - 2013
- Mapping Media to the Common Core with iPads (Aug 2013) - 2013
- What is it about me you can’t teach? Five Simple Things to Reach Struggling Learners - 2012
- Present to 14 iPads Simultaneously with Idea Flight - 2011
- Lessons Learned About Enhanced or Multimedia EPUB eBook Validation - 2011
- Tell A Story in 5 Photos for Educators: S'mores! - 2010
- Discouraging lecture hall technology abuse - Encouraging interactive discussions - 2009
- iPhone GS Black Screen During Calls Mystery Solved - 2009
- Digital Witness to the U.S. Presidential Inauguration - 2009