— Scott McLeod (@mcleod) April 13, 2015
Here’s my list. When it comes to education, we have to stop pretending…
- We are giving elementary students a grade in “science” when we haven’t provided any opportunities all year for them to conduct an experiment, measure something, collect any data, or form a hypothesis.
- We still live in the 20th century when communication, commerce, and learning opportunities were analog rather than digital.
- Coding is a skill students should wait till high high school or college before learning.
- That educational quality comes from mandated curricular pacing guides, benchmark tests, and a myopic focus on multiple-choice exams.
- That it’s acceptable for over 1000 K-12 classrooms in Oklahoma this year to be without a certified teacher.
Now I’m passing this torch/meme to some #OklaEd bloggers and change agents: I tag Michelle Waters (@watersenglish), Rick Cobb (@okeducation), Kevin Hime (@coach57), Erin Barnes (@elynnlll), and Rob Miller (@jmsprincipal).
Please join us. When it comes to education, what are 5 things that we have to stop pretending? Post on your blog, tag 5 others, and share using the #makeschooldifferent hashtag. Feel free to also put the URL of your post in the comments of Scott’s original post so others can find it!
by Wesley Fryer
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Glimpsing the Future with Alec Ross - 2016
- Strong Reactions to Today's Note on Makeup Work - 2015
- Photos from #mobile2012 in Phoenix, Arizona - 2012
- Education as a Superstructure by Graham Brown-Martin - 2012
- iGeography by Jenny Ashby (Workflows for Learning with iPads) - 2012
- Combining 21st Century Skills, Project Based Learning, and iPads - 2012
- Collaboration in Hand with iPads by Tony Vincent - 2012
- Podcast376: Reflections on the 2011 Intellectual Warrior's Conference - 2011
- Cognitive dissonance from the school internet filtering message - 2010
- Podcast343: Reflections on Race to the Top, State Charter School Laws, and Linking Teacher Performance to Student Test Scores - 2010