We can’t (and probably don’t want to on balance) turn the clock back to a 19th century paradigm of exclusively text-based literacy. But what is the real “value added” from multimedia-intense instruction which may border on edutainment? This session (presented at the Texas Computer Education Association’s annual conference in Austin, Texas on February 9, 2005) takes a critical look at educational technology: the myths and the realities of technology’s impact on student learning, and challenges teachers to focus on strategies which develop authentic literacy skills needed in the 21st Century.
Show notes for this podcast include:
- Online presentation slides for this session are available. (link broken – Internet Archive Wayback Machine version available)
- This presentation is also available as a streamed video synchronized to the presentation slides (scroll down to the 8th session, which is mine and click on it to view in your web browser)
- Recommended reading for educators
- The Alliance for Childhood
Program Length: 53 min, 19 sec
File size: 12.2 MB
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
All past “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” podcast episodes are archived, dating back to August 2005.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Lessons Learned Using Nearpod Presentations on iPads with Students - 2013
- Introducing 4th and 5th Graders to Scratch Software Possibilities - 2012
- A High School Student Tweet Heard 'Round Kansas - 2011
- 2011 #k12online Conference Starts Monday - 2011
- How many screens at Thanksgiving? - 2010
- WatchKnow vets educational YouTube videos - 2009
- Examples of digital storytelling types - 2008
- Sharing purchased iPhone applications and iTunes songs with family members - 2008
- Learn and share about OLPC - 2008
- Successful XO Laptop Firmware Upgrade - 2008