A week ago Thursday (on April Fool’s Day) I was honored to be the guest on the Seedlings webcast. Among other much more lighthearted topics, Bob Sprankle asked me to share some of my thoughts and perspectives on Race to the Top. I plan to share just that portion of the archived webcast here soon as a separate podcast, but if you’d like to read even more insightful (as well as depressing) analyses of our current educational politics in the United States I’d like to commend Doug Noon’s two most recent posts to you:
- From 11 April 2010: “We Are In Deep Doo Doo“
- From 12 April 2010: “Capitalism : Bottled Water : : Democrats : Education Reform“
It’s grim, folks. The Obama Education agenda IS the George W Bush Education agenda. Innovation in either plan is a farce. Eroding local control, strong-arming states to open more charter schools and permit private companies to tap into public education tax dollars, and connecting “teacher performance” to student test scores is NOT the way forward for education in the 21st century.
I reject the Obama Education Plan, and challenge leaders with REAL vision for educational innovation and constructive change to step forward in the United States. We’re headed in the wrong direction, and the man leading the charge campaigned on a platform of HOPE and CHANGE. So much for campaign promises.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Learn About Coding & Minecraft: Saturday April 18 at PLAYDATE OKC (free!) - 2015
- Kids Teaching Kids by Eric Marcos - 2012
- Great Educational Ideas from TEDxNYED - 2012
- Hands-on Introduction to Mobile Learning App/Game Creation for Non-Programmers - 2012
- Buckling Down Down for Oklahoma Standardized Testing Military Style [VIDEO] - 2012
- Application of OBTE Principles by Randal Wickman - 2011
- Military Development at West Point by Col Casey Haskins - 2011
- Tony Wagner discussing learning at the 2011 Intellectual Warrior's Conference - 2011
- Social, economic and cultural commentary via remixed multimedia: Meet DJ Spooky - 2010
- Scrape blogs: A mildly dark (and certainly irritating) side of open content licensing - 2010