Most of the teachers at my wife’s elementary school in Oklahoma City have starting using KidBlog with their students this semester for interactive writing, and students as well as parent volunteers are getting involved with commenting. This comment thread on a first grader’s photo post about his animal project is tender and sweet, including feedback from a sibling.
by Wesley Fryer
How wonderful it is that adults as well as students are able to engage in interactive writing like this together, which is all MODERATED by classroom teachers! Can first graders safely blog with iPads? Yes they can!
My wife commented this week how wonderful it is that her third and fourth grade students are eager to write on their Kidblog. This is a big contrast to the responses she’s received in the past, when she’s asked students to write on paper.
Technology is not a “silver bullet” nor a panacea for the challenges facing teachers in the classroom, but interactive writing can and does have powerful potential to help engage and motivate students to read and write more. Interactive writing sites like KidBlog can also open a window to supportive and edifying feedback which can further develop a loving and supportive classroom culture in which students can thrive as learners.
For more resources on classroom blogging, refer to the “Interactive Writing” page of the Mapping Media to the Common Core digital literacy framework. If you’re interested in learning more ways students can use media to “show what they know” using iPads, consider attending one of the 3 day iPad Media Camps I’ll be leading this summer in Texas, Kansas, Illinois, and Alabama!
by Wesley Fryer
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Zoom 101 for Small Group Leaders - 2020
- Innovating in the Fast Lane: The Role for Technology Leaders in the Coming Decade - 2018
- Digital Health and Wellness: A Cross-Disciplinary Approach - 2018
- Pictograph Memories at Camp Cimarron - 2017
- Egypt After Arab Spring: A Paper Slide Video Example and List.ly Bibliography - 2013
- Create a Multi-Track Radio Show (Podcast) with Audacity - 2013
- Create a Free Classroom Photo Sandbox with Picasa #gct - 2012
- Multipoint Videoconferencing: H.323 & Skype on the Blue Jeans Network - 2011
- Alternatives to Ning if free Ning sites are all shut down? - 2010
- links for 2008-04-16 - 2008