This podcast features a presentation by Wesley Fryer at the ATLIS (Association of Technology Leaders of Independent Schools) 2022 Conference in Orlando, Florida, on May 3, 2022. The title of the session was, “Teaching About Conspiracy Theories and Media Literacy.” The official description was: Conspiracy theories are popular on social media and influence our local as well as national conversations and politics. How we can constructively teach about conspiracy theories and help students develop their media literacy skills to better evaluate information and sources in our digital world? This session will highlight the “Froot Loop Conspiracy Theories” media literacy unit, taught to 6th graders since fall 2020 at Casady School in Oklahoma City. By focusing on the Apollo Moon landings, students learn how to use and apply the “SIFT” web literacy framework (S = Stop, I = Investigate the source, F = Find trusted coverage, T = Trace to the original) analyzing together several online videos. While this unit is designed for middle school students, it an be adapted for other grades / ages / developmental levels. Access the full unit on lessons.wesfryer.com/lessons/conspiracy-theories.
- Ways to follow and connect with Dr. Wesley Fryer: wesfryer.com/after
- Moving at the Speed of Creativity Podcast on Apple Podcasts (re-listed!)
- More FREE subscription options for “Moving at the Speed of Creativity Podcasts”
- Slides for “Teaching About Conspiracy Theories and Media Literacy” from May 3, 2022 at ATLIS
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Demonizing Oklahoma Public School Teachers While Praising Them? - 2011
- Hyperlinked sliding image banner in WordPress - 2010
- Let's build openly licensed, digital curriculum together - but where? - 2010
- Bring joy to Mothers in your life this year with a Mother's Day Podcast - 2009
- Setting up a basic content filter for free at granddaddy's house - 2009
- Welcome Jennifer Wagner! - 2007
- New Flickr Quickstart - 2007
- Whole lotta testin' - 2007
- Creative Commons quickstart - 2007
- Professors banning laptops - 2006