Are tests the problem or the solution? As I have written previously, the $10 million question in education is how do we reform schools and schooling to serve the students and prepare them authentically for their future?
This 7 min 40 sec video on the Edutopia website about Urban Academy in New York makes several points quite powerfully that I believe and want to share with others. These points include:
– Students today need learning in DEPTH rather than in BREADTH about issues they can care about, that reflect the genuine complexities of our world and REAL LIFE.
– High stakes testing is working at cross purposes towards promoting this vision of authentic and engaged teaching and learning in our classrooms.
– Alternative education settings (where students are actually succeeding and graduating) often demonstrate what needs to be done for ALL students in ALL settings. It is no secret that “traditional” high schools just don’t serve most students well. Kids get lost, they are bored, they are often not academically challenged, etc.
This video shows a school that I would want my children attending when they get to high school. Can I pay these teachers and administrators a higher compliment? I don’t think so.
When are we going to have a school like this in Lubbock?
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Learn About Coding & Minecraft: Saturday April 18 at PLAYDATE OKC (free!) - 2015
- Kids Teaching Kids by Eric Marcos - 2012
- Great Educational Ideas from TEDxNYED - 2012
- Hands-on Introduction to Mobile Learning App/Game Creation for Non-Programmers - 2012
- Buckling Down Down for Oklahoma Standardized Testing Military Style [VIDEO] - 2012
- Application of OBTE Principles by Randal Wickman - 2011
- Military Development at West Point by Col Casey Haskins - 2011
- Tony Wagner discussing learning at the 2011 Intellectual Warrior's Conference - 2011
- Social, economic and cultural commentary via remixed multimedia: Meet DJ Spooky - 2010
- Understanding Race to the Top and the Obama Education Reform Agenda (deja vu, GW Bush) - 2010