As the December holiday season again approaches, many people in many cultures will be thinking about gift giving options. This year, consider giving an XO Laptop to a student in a developing country. The OLPC Foundation is again offering a “Give One, Get One” campaign, providing a chance to both obtain an OLPC for you and your family, as well as provide one for a student in a country whose leaders have the vision to adopt OLPCs for ALL students. This program restarted on November 17, 2008, in collaboration with Amazon.com.
This recently posted video (also available on Amazon.com) summarizes well the focus and core principles of OLPC.
The five core principles of OLPC explained in the video are:
- The kids keep the laptops.
- Focus on early education.
- No one gets left out.
- Connection to the internet.
- Free to grow and adopt.
Besides reading community news on the OLPC wiki, a good way to stay up to date (certainly visually) with OLPC updates is to add OLPC as a Flickr contact! The website olpc.tv also includes a variety of videos about OLPC, including (most recently) a video about the deployment of 15,000 XO laptops in Birmingham, Alabama.
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Lessons Learned Using Nearpod Presentations on iPads with Students - 2013
- Introducing 4th and 5th Graders to Scratch Software Possibilities - 2012
- A High School Student Tweet Heard 'Round Kansas - 2011
- 2011 #k12online Conference Starts Monday - 2011
- How many screens at Thanksgiving? - 2010
- WatchKnow vets educational YouTube videos - 2009
- Examples of digital storytelling types - 2008
- Sharing purchased iPhone applications and iTunes songs with family members - 2008
- Successful XO Laptop Firmware Upgrade - 2008
- Podcast294: An Interview with NASA Flight Engineer Tom Weichel discussing Gemini, Apollo 11 and Apollo 13 - 2008