As the December holiday season again approaches, many people in many cultures will be thinking about gift giving options. This year, consider giving an XO Laptop to a student in a developing country. The OLPC Foundation is again offering a “Give One, Get One” campaign, providing a chance to both obtain an OLPC for you and your family, as well as provide one for a student in a country whose leaders have the vision to adopt OLPCs for ALL students. This program restarted on November 17, 2008, in collaboration with Amazon.com.
This recently posted video (also available on Amazon.com) summarizes well the focus and core principles of OLPC.
The five core principles of OLPC explained in the video are:
- The kids keep the laptops.
- Focus on early education.
- No one gets left out.
- Connection to the internet.
- Free to grow and adopt.
Besides reading community news on the OLPC wiki, a good way to stay up to date (certainly visually) with OLPC updates is to add OLPC as a Flickr contact! The website olpc.tv also includes a variety of videos about OLPC, including (most recently) a video about the deployment of 15,000 XO laptops in Birmingham, Alabama.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Lessons Learned Using Nearpod Presentations on iPads with Students - 2013
- Introducing 4th and 5th Graders to Scratch Software Possibilities - 2012
- A High School Student Tweet Heard 'Round Kansas - 2011
- 2011 #k12online Conference Starts Monday - 2011
- How many screens at Thanksgiving? - 2010
- WatchKnow vets educational YouTube videos - 2009
- Examples of digital storytelling types - 2008
- Sharing purchased iPhone applications and iTunes songs with family members - 2008
- Successful XO Laptop Firmware Upgrade - 2008
- Podcast294: An Interview with NASA Flight Engineer Tom Weichel discussing Gemini, Apollo 11 and Apollo 13 - 2008