Yesterday I had an opportunity to share a presentation with the faculty at Wells Junior High School, in Wells, Maine. Cheryl Oakes webcasted the presentation on UStream. I shared a modified version of my presentation, “Tales of Digital Magic.” The Ustream recording is 1 hour, 18 minutes long.
The most amazing thing about this day of PD was that EVERY teacher in the school cafeteria had and used their OWN school-provided laptop. Many of these teachers have had their own school laptops for NINE years. After my presentation and a short break, I joined other school and district technology integration facilitators helping teachers develop their own tech-lessons. Many started using VoiceThread, others experimented with Etherpad (via iEtherpad and PiratePad,) some worked on multimedia presentations, and other assorted topics. It was a great morning of short, focused direct instruction followed by about two hours of differentiated learning. This is a photo I took with Pano of the teachers working on their laptops.
I look forward to the day when this kind of PD is “normal” for all the teachers in Oklahoma!
Please support my STEM classroom Donor's Choose project: "Applying STEM Skills with Robotic Sphero Balls. Use the promo code INSPIRE at checkout to double your donation (up to $100) thanks to a match from DonorsChoose.org.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Fun Scratch Projects Today in STEM Class - 2014
- Lessons on Suicide Prevention from Rich Van Pelt - 2013
- Digital Citizenship: Learning to Cross the Street in a Digital World - 2013
- Joys of iPad2 VGA Out - 2011
- iPad First Impressions: It's Magical - 2010
- AudioBoo will upload over EDGE - 2009
- College students: Win $$$ for developing social networking apps - 2008
- links for 2008-04-03 - 2008
- Head faking kids to love programming and change the world - 2008
- KidCast Podcasting Awards - 2007