Open education, open educational resources, and open source software should be household names. I just finished watching David Wiley‘s TEDxNYED talk on YouTube via my iPad, and I am inspired as a result. I loved his image of the 2 year old having a tantrum, and comparing that to our tendency as educators and citizens to cry, “That’s mine! You can’t have it! I’ll sue you if you try to take it!” I also love his statement early on, “Openness is the only means of doing education.” Hear, hear.
The official description of this session was:
Dr. David Wiley is Associate Professor of Instructional Psychology and Technology at Brigham Young University. He is also the Chief Openness Officer of Flat World Knowledge and Founder and board member of the Open High School of Utah. He was formerly Associate Professor of Instructional Technology and Director of the Center for Open and Sustainable Learning at Utah State University.
David argues, “The most successful educators share most thoroughly with the most students.” For him, education is DEFINED as a relationship of sharing. Does this make you reconsider whether or not YOU should be blogging regularly? What about CLOSED, “walled-garden” learning management systems? Still think Moodle is “the bomb” just because it’s open source? Think again. Education IS sharing, and the more generously we share, the better we educate others as well as ourselves. Very important and powerful ideas here.
Take fifteen minutes and listen to more.
— Posted with Blogpress for iPad. Since YouTube for iPad doesn’t provide embed codes (at this point) I used the Tools 4 Noobs “Valid XHTML YouTube Embed Code Generator to create embed code for this video I could copy and use.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Upload Videos Using the iPhone YouTube App - 2017
- Book Review: "It's Complicated: The Social Lives of Networked Teens" by danah boyd - 2014
- Interactively Explore Population Pyramids - 2013
- Bark Buddy iOS Game Development Begins with GameSalad - 2012
- Use a cell phone supporting 3 way calling to record audio interviews - 2011
- Create a Moderated Classroom Phonecasting Channel with iPadio - 2011
- Proposed K12 virtual school legislation in Florida a sign of things to come - 2011
- What's magical? A bluetooth keyboard and an iPad - 2010
- Tools for facilitating PBL? - 2008
- links for 2008-04-18 - 2008