I’m hoping to publish my first “blog book” soon and am thinking about the best options for facilitating online conversations about it. I did work around the mySQL database problems I wrote about recently, by downgrading an offline copy of my blog to WordPress 2.9 running off a local MAMP install and exporting all my “school reform” posts at once. Turns out one of my older posts had the same “guid” (post ID) and that may have caused my export issues. All the posts which will comprise the book (most of my “school reform” category posts written since 2004) are already online, but comments are closed on all but the most recent thanks to the “Comment Timeout” plugin for WordPress. I’ve found using it cuts my blog spam way down. I’m thinking a good ‘ole text-based forum might be good for my purpose and goals. I’d like to provide an interactive venue where people can offer feedback and discuss ideas raised in the posts / book. I could open commenting on the original posts, but comments there wouldn’t be threaded, organized and amplified the way they could be in a separate forum. phpBB is the best option I know of for this. I love the fact that it is open source. Are you aware of other or better options?
Sent from my iPad
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- iPad Green Screen Video Creation - 2015
- Mastery Grid with Openly Licensed Icons - 2014
- Podcast384: Michael Wesch at Heartland eLearning 2011 - 2011
- Following Greyson Chance's Rise to Musical Fame - 2010
- Homegrown YouTube Clone Websites in Schools - 2010
- MacBook Air Digital Lust - 2010
- How I create and publish podcasts - 2009
- PollEverywhere Polls and Results from KATE - 2009
- The mind of a learner: Iron, Marble, Receptacle or Flame? - 2008
- Podcast interviews with Oklahoma elected officials on NCLB - 2008