The clearest message communicated by the Microsoft Store in Fashion Valley Mall in San Diego seems to be: Redmond wants to offer shopping experiences like Cupertino.
Remember days in the not-so-distant past when Windows-based laptops for sale by franchises like Office Depot and Best Buy were not connected to the Internet? That’s not the case at this Microsoft store. Lots of online laptops are organized by size and platform type, with stools inviting customers to take each one for an online spin.
I briefly tried an ExoPC tablet running Windows7. I didn’t find the keyboard as intuitive and easy to use as the iOS interface on my iPad, but it’s good to see Microsoft trying to give Apple a run for their money.
Microsoft Stores even have their own version of Apple’s Genius Bars, called “Answers.” No cool “Answer Guru” shirts by employees, though. I don’t know if they have an online signup for appointments or not.
Apple is not only successful with great products, it has also created a great shopping experience which invites customers to play and linger. Microsoft is trying to follow suit, and based on what I saw today in San Diego it looks like they are doing good so far. I was surprised to see they also sell Kindles.
According to the employee I asked today, this is the third Microsoft Store worldwide out of seven.
No word yet if we’ll be getting one in Oklahoma anytime soon. 🙂
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Lessons Gleaned from the Life of Joseph Priestley - 2017
- Don't Use an AT&T Phone Overseas Without an International Calling Plan - 2016
- Inspired by the First All-Female USAF Boeing E-3 Sentry Air Crew - 2013
- Student "Confession Pages" Trend Highlights Free Speech Issues & Need to Address Ethics / Digital Citizenship - 2013
- Playing With Media Trailer: Modeling Technology Use as the Superintendent - 2012
- Global Collaboration (including The Arab Spring Project) at Yarmouth High School - 2012
- Feedburner Feed and Yahoo Pipe Updated (no longer frozen on Feb 18th post) - 2011
- Terms of Service Agreements Users Don't Read - 2011
- Install alternate operating systems and software on a netbook via a USB flash drive - 2010
- Podcast306: Voices of COSN 2009 (Grantwrangler, a handheld data projector, and cloud-based computing) - 2009