I co-presented a 1.5 hour class this evening in Oklahoma City at a local church entitled “Tech Talk,” which addressed a wide variety of questions people had about digital photography, DVRs, iPods, Internet searching, and more.
I had presented for this “Discoveries” class series previously, but addressed Internet Safety. During those sessions, I utilized the church’s WiFi network and was able to share all the web-based resources I needed to during sessions. Tonight, however, we learned just before our presentation began that the church had not only changed their secure WiFi password, but also had apparently installed or moved their public access points further away from the classroom we were assigned. The result? We could get online via the local WiFi (after Eric scrambled to get the new password) but the Internet connectivity speed was horrible as well as intermittent. Since our workshop depended almost entirely on Internet access, this was a potential recipe for disaster.
Thankfully, I learned to BYOB at the OTA conference this past February. As a result, I can say (with only a little hyperbole) that my Sierra Wireless card “saved my life” tonight during our presentation. 🙂 As I wrote in February, “The burn of a stove is a memorable instructor.”
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Engaged, Educated and Impressed by the Museum of the Bible in Washington D.C. - 2018
- Upload Videos Using the iPhone YouTube App - 2017
- Book Review: "It's Complicated: The Social Lives of Networked Teens" by danah boyd - 2014
- Interactively Explore Population Pyramids - 2013
- Bark Buddy iOS Game Development Begins with GameSalad - 2012
- Use a cell phone supporting 3 way calling to record audio interviews - 2011
- Create a Moderated Classroom Phonecasting Channel with iPadio - 2011
- Proposed K12 virtual school legislation in Florida a sign of things to come - 2011
- Openness is the only means of doing education - 2010
- What's magical? A bluetooth keyboard and an iPad - 2010