This podcast is a recording of the ACTEM 2009 conference breakout session, “WordPress Saves Lives – Learn How,” by Wesley Fryer on October 16, 2009. ACTEM is the Association of Computer Technology Educators in Maine, and their 2009 conference was held in Augusta. The official conference description for this session was: WordPress is a free, open-source content management system (CMS) and blogging platform which powers many dynamic, engaging websites today. Whether you are a classroom teacher, a librarian, a school administrator, an instructional technology specialist or an IT technician, you should know about WordPress and the powerful as well as moderated / safe ways it can be used to publish interactive content online. In this session we’ll explore the basics of WordPress as well as the extensible features it offers with custom themes and plug-ins. Help end the online suffering which continues thanks to websites created with Microsoft Frontpage in the late 1990s! Learn about WordPress, use it, and share its power with others! [END OF DESCRIPTION] Check out the podcast shownotes for referenced links and resources from this session.
- Complete list of referenced links from this presentation
- Opening video: The Machine is Us/ing Us (Final Version) by Dr. Michael Wesch (YouTube)
- Content Management System – Updated List (see PHP)
- WordPress.org (for self-hosted installations)
- WordPress.com (free, commercial hosting with some limitations)
- EduBlogs.org (education-specific WordPress hosting, free and commercial options available, with some limitations)
- WordPress MU (multi-user WordPress installations)
- WordPress plugins
- WordPress themes
- My WordPress colophon (colophon defined in WikiPedia)
- Wesley’s WordPress social bookmarks
- Contact Wesley
- Follow Wesley on Twitter
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Sharing My Learning via Twitter from Write Well, Sell Well 2015 - 2015
- Writing for Greater Impact by Shannon Ethridge - 2015
- Selling Well for Non-Fiction Writers by Chris Maselli - 2015
- Avoiding Digital Disasters: Video Is the New Pen - 2013
- Awesome Brickfilm - 2011
- Deterring bag shoplifters and trash depositors - 2008
- Voicethreads about favorite books! - 2007
- Elluminate moderation: First impressions - 2006
- Firefox 2 and Skype 2 - 2006
- K12Online06 Presentations links, comments - 2006