The past two summers, I have facilitated week-long youth workshops on stopmotion moviemaking in Edmond, Oklahoma. This summer I’m not planning to lead one, but I’ve received a few phone calls and emails in past months from parents asking me to. For parents / kids / families living near Altus, Oklahoma, I’d encourage you to check out the fantastic list of summer learning opportunities offered at “Kids College” held at Western Oklahoma State College.
Some of the classes which look GREAT to me (and I wish someone was offering in or around the Oklahoma City metro area) are:
- Imaginary Worlds Computer Camp (Learning to create with Scratch!) – Do you have a favorite song for which you’d love to create your own music video, or an idea for a cool 2D computer game? Bring your songs and ideas to this year’s Imaginary Worlds Camp, where we’ll be creating music videos and games using the latest version of Scratch, a new software package from MIT. In the process, we’ll be learning logical thinking, problem-solving techniques, quantitative reasoning, and the basics of computer animation. You will take home a flash drive containing Scratch, and will publish your project on the Scratch website (scratch.mit.edu)
- Lights, Camera, Action! Movie Making – Students will be taught basic movie making skills including screenplay writing, lighting, camera angles, maximizing the use of a setting to add to the film, and basic editing techniques. Bring your own video camera!
- Intro to Lego Mindstorms NXT Robotics – Lego enthusiasts, get ready to Robo Lego style! In this course, you’ll use Legos, a laptop computer, and an NXT programmable brick to build a robot creations using sight, sound, ultrasonic and light sensors plus interactive servo motors and many more creations. The design possibilities are nearly limitless. Come have some fun and build a robot!
- Worm Farming: Composting with Worms (Vermiculture) – Dig in to the basics of backyard composting, including bins, tools, and accessories; sift through the process of turning kitchen scraps into plant fertilizer and cultivate the production of compost tea. You will learn from experts, experience the process first hand and go home with hard working worms ready to produce for you.
- Digital Photo Editing for Free – The Digital Photography course is designed to show you how to use your computer to capture, edit, manipulate and produce top quality digital images for both the Internet and printing. Digital photography is easier than you may think. This level 1 digital photography course assumes you know little or nothing about digital techniques. Just imagine being able to create stunning images on your PC. Jump into the magic of Picasa 3 and Paint.net today!
- LEGO Films and Stop Action! – Make your toys come to life! Bring in your favorite action figures or LEGO’S and create a short film with your friends. Whether you want to recreate a scene from Star Wars or design a world of your own, this class brings your dreams to the screen. Students will need to bring in LEGOS or action figures from home and a digital camera, but all other equipment provided. Students will finish the class with a CD of their movie to show their family and friends.
Way to go faculty and staff at Western Oklahoma State College for offering this diverse array of hands on (as well as geeky) classes for kids in and around Altus! Woo hoo for creativity and learning fun in Oklahoma!
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Rocket Time! (an iPhone iMovie Trailer) - 2014
- Redeeming the Family: Blessing Children of Incarcerated Parents - 2013
- Rise Up Oklahoma City: Support Our Public Schools! - 2012
- Brainstorming PlayingWithMedia.com with Popplet - 2011
- 7th Annual American Indian Learner's Conference: May 21, 2011 - 2011
- How are you addressing the digital participation gap? #newlearningculture - 2011
- Digital audio recorder quest: affordable, powerful, compatible (May 2010) - 2010
- First geocaching experiences with our Garmin eTrex Legend HCx - 2008
- Podcast155: A Primer on Network Security for School Leaders (Part 1) - 2007
- Two great podcast presentations from TCEA 2007 - 2007