Howard Gardner spoke at the AP conference recently
– AP is pushing a collegiate model, Howard apparently ticked a lot of people with AP off with the message he shared
Paige: I naturally teach with these multiple intelligences approaches
– it can be more challenging to bring these ideas in at the secondary level
Your own definition of intelligence
– Howard Gardner in his first book “Frames of Mind” defines intelligence as “one’s ability to solve problems and create products valued in one or more cultural settings” (1983)
more recent book in 1998
– “a bio-psychological potential to process information that can be activated in a cultural setting”
– he and we firmly state that all people have all eight of these intelligences
– we will do an inventory today that will help each of us get more in touch with our intelligences
we are being provided with a large white piece of paper, eight different colors of construction paper, scissors and glue sticks
Questions to ask
– is this me, how I look at the world?
Spatial (picture smart)
– thinks in images and pictures
– clear visual images and representations
– knows the location of everything
– fascination with machines and contraptions
– thinks and processes by relating, co-operating and communicating with others
– leader among peers
– uncanny ability to sense feelings and intentions of others
– understands people, mediates conflict
– organizer, communicator, at times manipulative
– has many friends
– thinks conceptually
– skilled in reasoning, logic and problem solving
– explores patterns, categories and relationships
– manipulates the environment to experiment in a controlled way
– questions and wonders about natural events
AT THIS POINT I STOPPED TAKING NOTES BECAUSE WE GOT BUSY CREATING A COLLAGE WITH OUR MATERIALS
Nature / Naturalist
Word / Linguistic
Body / Kinethstetic
THE PRESENTERS SHARED A PHENOMENAL MULTI-PAGES GUIDE BY INCENTIVE PUBLICATIONS INC. (2003 NASHVILLE) CALLED “CURRICULUM AND PROJECT PLANNER FOR INTEGRATING LEARNING STYLES, THINKING SKILLS, AND AUTHENTIC INSTRUCTION” BY IMOGENE FORTE AND SANDRA SCHURR
– THIS IS AN AMAZING RESOURCE, I WANT TO GET A COPY OF THIS! IT IS SUPPOSEDLY OUT OF PRINT, BUT “BEST OF BOOKS” IN EDMOND IS SUPPOSED TO STILL HAVE SOME. THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF A GREAT RESOURCE THAT I WISH WAS AVAILABLE DIGITALLY AND FOR FREE. EVERY TEACHER SHOULD HAVE THIS.
Websites referenced and recommended by the presenters:
Learning Styles take your test.
Information about learning styles and Multiple Intelligence (MI) is helpful for everyone especially for people with learning disabilities and Attention Deficit Disorder. Knowing your learning style will help you develop coping strategies to compensate for your weaknesses and capitalize on your strengths.
Index of Learning Styles Questionnaire
44 question inventory
Youth Version of a learning inventory text that scores immediately
doesn’t include nature smart
Multiple Intelligences Survey
inventory with lots of different MI qualities
Multiple Intelligence Survey – FamilyEducation.com
lots of good MI information for parents
I SAW THE TED TALK “MARTIN SELIGMAN ON POSITIVE PSYCHOLOGY” THIS WEEK ON MY IPHONE, AND REALLY LIKED WHAT HE SAID ABOUT HAPPINESS AS WELL AS POSITIVE PSYCHOLOGY. SELIGMAN SAYS RESEARCH INDICATES THERE ARE THREE TYPES OF HAPPINESS: EMOTIONAL, FLOW/ENGAGEMENT, AND MEANINGFULNESS. THIS HAS TIES TO MULTIPLE INTELLIGENCES CLEARLY. THE EXTENT TO WHICH WE ARE ABLE TO EXERCISE, DEVELOP, AND DEEPEN OUR USES OF THE INTELLIGENCES WHICH WE ENJOY HAD POSSESS MOST SIGNIFICANTLY IS SURELY A BIG CONTRIBUTOR TO OVERALL HAPPINESS.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Green Screen Videos to Share with Teachers - 2016
- Invite Students to Enter Clean Shorts Film Festival - 2015
- Sheldon Whitehouse responds to Jim Inhofe on Climate Change - 2014
- 2010 K-12 Online Conference Call for Proposals #k12online10 - 2010
- Digital Citizenship in the Cyber Community (free webcast) - 2009
- Podcast324: Gaming, Fun, and Digital Citizenship at the Internet Cafe in Cushing, Oklahoma - 2009
- To succeed we must fail - a LOT - 2009
- Go Green, Go Electric" featuring Miles Electric vehicles wins 1st place - 2009
- Password common sense not common - 2009
- Smart Technologies whiteboard software now requires product keys for installation - 2008