This podcast features an interview from early December 2008 with John Costilla of WeAreTeachers.com. According to the company’s about page, “WeAreTeachers wants to level the playing field and avail teachers of the wonderful new tools of the digital age. In the Web 2.0 world, technology empowers individuals and groups to come together for the purpose of aggregating resources and knowledge. From social networks and e-commerce, to online video and other forms of digital content, the time is right for leveraging these trends and applying them to teaching and learning. WeAreTeachers provides a tangible business opportunity, enabling teachers to productize what they do, to be paid for their expert advice, and to have a stake in the knowledge marketplace.” As John discusses, WeAreTeachers.com proposes a very different paradigm of thinking about value and rewards for teacher expertise in the 21st century. These are challenging and exciting ideas, worthy of consideration as well as advocacy. (FULL DISCLOSURE: I voluntarily interviewed John for this podcast, and was not compensated in any way for recording and sharing this.)
- YouTube Story of WeAreTeachers.com background by Sandy Fivecoat
- YouTube Video ad for WeAreTeachers.com
- John Costilla’s profile page on the WeAreTeachers Ning
- “I Am Teacher” on Facebook (Connects teachers with other teachers around the world based on similar teaching characteristics)
- Management Team of WeAreTeachers.com
- IMDB entry for “Joe Versus the Volcano” (opening audio clips)
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Things I'm Learning about HDMI Cables - 2017
- Selectively Auto-Sync Local Files to Google Drive - 2016
- iOS Movie App Recommendations from Tim Tyson #edapp - 2010
- PhotoShop, Art, and Ning Collaboration with Students in Maine and China - 2010
- 365 Photo Blog: Posterous, WordPress or just Flickr? - 2010
- A Lesson Idea About Our Inherent Value as Human Beings - 2010
- Linda Darling-Hammond has my vote for SOE - 2008
- Watching graph scales during our ice storm - 2007
- No sidetrips for learning today - 2006
- Preparing teachers of digital immigrants - 2005