(cross-posted from Storychasers.org)
Please register soon for a remarkable opportunity: A 4 hour, hands-on workshop including $150 of digital media production equipment, for just $20! This workshop will be held in Oklahoma City on Saturday, July 11, 2015, from 9 am to 1 pm at the Oklahoma Public School Resource Center. The OPSRC is located at 309 NW 13th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73103.
The workshop description, from the EventBrite registration page, is:
Every school needs a Student Journalism / Storychaser Club! This 4 hour workshop is open to any current K-12 classroom teacher or other educator willing to sponsor a student journalism / storychaser club at their school during the 2015-2016 school year. This is a BYOD workshop: Participants need to bring a laptop computer, a smartphone (iPhone or Android) and (if available) an iPad. For just $20 participants will receive a “digital backpack” of equipment ($150 value!) from Storychasers including:
- a Digital Camera (Canon PowerShot A490 or Olympus VG-110 or similar)
- a Digital Voice Recorder (battery operated – Sony ICD PX820 or Sony ICD PX312 or similar)
- a USB Headset with Mic (Plantronics Audio 655)
- Digital Camera SD Card (2 GB or larger)
- A logo’ed Storychasers backpack
Participants will learn how to:
- Create a free Flickr photo channel to upload and share & use photos
- Create a free Storychaser Club “Student News” website on Blogger.com to share text, photos, audio and video
- Facilitate moderated, student posts to the website including TEXT and PHOTOS (including posts by email)
- Create and share audio interviews (podcasts / radio shows)
- Create and share “quick edit” videos
- Create and Manage a free YouTube channel for your Storychasers ClubParticipants must agree to:
- Sponsor a school or classroom “Storychasers Club” next school year
- Facilitate at least ONE post to the club Student News / Storychasers Club Blogger website (or other interactive school journalism site) PER WEEK during the academic year. This can be a student or teacher post, and include any media: text, images, audio, and/or video.Since this workshop cost is just $20, purchase orders will NOT be accepted. Payment must be via credit/debit card or PayPal online in advance. We will also address student/parent media release/permission forms and addressing school content filtering issues. Participants will also receive access to online videos and electronic support during the school year from Storychasers.If you have any questions about this workshop or what is involved, contact Wesley Fryer via Twitter (@wfryer) or using this online contact form.
For more background, view the SlideShare presentation from June 2013: Student Storychasers: A New Media Journalism Club.
Also view some of these videos from the Lakeview Elementary (Yukon Public Schools) Storychasers Club.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- No-edit Audio Podcasts of Conference Presentations Via Cinch @cinchcast #edapp #tatc11 - 2011
- Managing iOS Devices in the Classroom #tatc11 - 2011
- Celebrating Texas Voices in White Oak - TCEA Area 7 Tech Conference #tatc11 - 2011
- Live and archived Ustream recordings from the Castilleja Summer Learning Institute - 2010
- Learning Environment Design by Apple - 2010
- Public education is not failing, but political spin doctors want you to think so - 2010
- Explain Virtually Anything with Claymation and Digital Storytelling - 2010
- links for 2008-06-10 - 2008
- Trends, Tools, and Tactics for 21st Century Learning - 2008
- $100 million for a petaflop of performance - 2008
Is there a workshop in India in near future?